Cute cat names

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by BeautifulAngel, Jun 24, 2012.

1. BeautifulAngel

BeautifulAngel Well-Known Member

What are some female and/or cat names that you like?

I'm trying to think of a name for a kitten before I get one since I don't want to get a kitten and not have a name for it..

So names please!

BeautifulAngel, Jun 24, 2012
  2. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

I would never pick out the cat's name before I picked out the cat! I prefer to choose names that suit their personality, colors, stories, etc.

Jessi, Jun 24, 2012
  3. BeautifulAngel

I guess that's true. I'm just horrible at giving names. For example I usually let the person who is giving it away or that is selling it to me name them. I would probably name my kitten a really odd name that I would just end up changing anyways. I suck at that kind of stuff haha.

BeautifulAngel, Jun 25, 2012
  4. BeautifulAngel

Dani72 Member

I'm with Jessi here. I would have to meet the animal and see what it was like first.

I did the same with my first baby. The name I had picked out didn't suit her at all but my second choice did.

I think a name has to be something that you can call out, without feeling embarrassed about. For instance, I cant see me standing on the doorstep calling for Twinkle, but I could happily shout for Harry. I once wanted to call a cat Blackie, but Mum wouldn't let me. She said she couldn't possibly go into the street shouting for Blackie.

Dani72, Jun 25, 2012
  5. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

Haha! Well how about picking out a few names in advance and then deciding after you get the kitty? That way, you can weed out any odd ones you don't really like, but you can still decide based on personality.

Jessi, Jun 25, 2012
  6. BeautifulAngel

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Alright, let me see if I can help you on this. Let's say we have three kittens like these:
    [​IMG]
    I would name the one on the left Nimnose because it's nose is very soft and 'nim' means 'soft' in Thai. The one at the back I would name Hottie because it looks kind of haughty. The one on the right I would name Justin because the blue eyes remind me of someone with those eyes. Now supposing you have some kittens like these?​
    [​IMG]
    What would you name them?​

Victor Leigh, Jun 26, 2012
  7. BeautifulAngel

I think that's a great idea, thanks Jessi! :)

BeautifulAngel, Jul 5, 2012
  8. BeautifulAngel

violino Well-Known Member

I, for one, waited for a name to come. It was just a word that made me feel "this is IT".
    I think everyone has their own methods for choosing a name. But after some time it doesn't matter because a name would stick to a cat and it would be ITS, it would loose its meaning, it'll become a name.

violino, Jul 5, 2012
  9. BeautifulAngel

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I have favorite video game characters like Ivy ,Talim and Taki from Soul Calibur. So when I adopt another cat, they will probably get a name from my list of endless video game names. My cat Dolores is named after a cowgirl named Dolores Del Ruby from the novel Even Cowgirls Get The Blues.

ACSAPA, Aug 20, 2012
  10. BeautifulAngel

steph84 Well-Known Member

I like to give the cat their name based on their personality. The only exception to this is if I were to get an orange cat. It is my dream to have an orange kitty named Pumpkin!

steph84, Aug 20, 2012
  11. BeautifulAngel

Awh that's such a cute name for an orange kitty haha.

If only I had another orange kitten XD

BeautifulAngel, Sep 11, 2012
  12. BeautifulAngel

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

I've always thought that if I ever get a weiner dog, I'm naming him Chili. We have a black cat whose name I won't mention here because it's ridiculous (not my doing), but I wanted to name her Spook. It might be funny to pick a name like "Fire", you could probably have some fun yelling that out in public.

OhioTom76, Sep 14, 2012
  13. BeautifulAngel

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My cats are called Professor Pussington (Puss Puss for short) and Bandit Cat (Mr B Cat for short)...love them!

Scottyxx, Sep 14, 2012
  14. BeautifulAngel

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

No offense intended but naming a black cat Spook could be construed as racist because spook used to be a derogatory term for black people.
    I don't want to get heavy on a lighthearted thread. I'm just trying to help, so you don't accidentally do something racially insensitive, like when an ex friend of mine named her black cat Token.

ACSAPA, Sep 14, 2012
  15. BeautifulAngel

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Good point, that's not where I was coming from at all, I'm a huge horror movie/halloween fan - I was thinking more in the black cat/superstition/halloween sense. I was also thinking of using the name if I could find a white cat/dog with black around their eyes - kind of like a ghost. But after reconsidering, I'll have to scrap that name.

OhioTom76, Sep 16, 2012
  16. BeautifulAngel

Jessi Well-Known Member

Couldn't you still go with something like Spooky or Mr. Spooky? I think most people are going to associate that with Halloween and black cats at this point. I agree that you should consider the names and what they might mean to someone else, but I think Spook/Spooky for a black cat is a lot safer than Token may've been.

Jessi, Sep 16, 2012
  17. BeautifulAngel

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

I definitely agree with this one. My 3 year old cat, Bunny, was already named when I adopted her as a kitten from a shelter but it fit so well that I decided to leave it. I didn't name my new kitten until I'd met him and spent some time with him first and then I made a list of all the names I liked. I finally settled on Fizzgig from the movie The Dark Crystal, because he's so much like the character from the movie.

I'd suggest meeting the kitten first and then making a list of all the names you think would be fitting. You can find websites online that offer suggestions for kitten names if you get stuck.

msmonkeyfeet, Sep 16, 2012
  18. BeautifulAngel

Viola Member

We always named our cats after we had them, based on their appearance or personality. Our first was Cinnamon Pancake because of her lovely cinnamon colouring and the way she would lay flat as a pancake when she got really confy. Our second was Oliver, because he was a sad little orphan. The kids named our most recent kitty, so Indy is name for Indiana Jones, of course. It seems to fit him because he is handsome and quite the adventurer. I love seeing their little personalities developing and figuring out what name will suit them perfectly.

Viola, Sep 16, 2012
Ask a Question