Crazy Cat Lady Rescuer Here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ADPainter, Nov 20, 2014.

1. ADPainter

ADPainter New Member

Hi, I'm Denise. My husband and I run a (primarily) cat rescue in Upstate, SC. We've been doing this since 2000 and will probably do it until we die. In becoming a rescuer, over time I've learned a lot about cats. I started out working with ferals but soon branched out into regular cat rescue, and eventually into some special needs rescue. Right now our biggest problem child is Alex. We found her at about 9 months old this past Labor Day weekend, rolling around on the ground near our feral feeder. She couldn't control her legs or head, and acted like she was drunk.

A trip to the vet found that she was feral, female, and had an extremely bad ear infection in both ears (so bad that maggots were found deep in one ear). Our vet cleared the ears out and put in meds to kill anything he didn't get, but we fear her inner ear was destroyed and she is deaf.

She lives in a cage in my office where I work with her every day. She is still mostly feral, although she will allow me to pet her head (and then immediately swat me once I start to pull my hand away). I brush her with her brush and then scratch her with the back scratcher, which she likes to attack. We're trying to work out a way to get her into a bigger cage, and at the same time take her back to the vet to be spayed, have a calming collar put on her, and a better exam of her ears to see if anything can be done. This is difficult for me because while I've worked with neuro kitties, I've worked with feral kitties, and I've worked with deaf kitties, I've never worked with all three in one package. But I don't give up easily.

Have a great day!

ADPainter, Nov 20, 2014
  2. ADPainter

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi AD Painter,
    Thanks for the tip about photographing black cats. Sounds like you have a handful with Alex. If she is deaf, that's going to be difficult to release her outside--she'd be very vulnerable. She is very lucky good people like you and your husband found her. Thanks for doing rescue work. We have rescued/adopted from kill shelters four cats and we also foster Malamutes. But I think we've reached our limit on companions right now...until the next crisis hits! Good luck with Alex.

Kay Dougall, Nov 21, 2014
Ask a Question