Close Contact

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by BTCGuru81, Mar 29, 2013.

1. BTCGuru81

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

Has anyone else noticed their cats feeling a need for close contact? My one cat is especially close to me and I find she's constantly seeking out ways to be physically in contact with me. She will put her paw on my leg if I'm not petting her this moment or lay on my feet if the notebook is occupying my lap at the moment. Even when she sleeps in my bed, her back is usually pressed up against me. It's just one of those charming little affections they show that make me love them.

BTCGuru81, Mar 29, 2013
  2. BTCGuru81

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Yes! Sibyl does it to me all of the time for comfort, warmth, or just plain pets. She's worst about that last one, lol. Alice had started to sleep on my girlfriend at night, which is hilarious, as she pretends she doesn't like attention by day. It's like she thinks she's too dignified for cuddles. x]

blurinoctober, Mar 31, 2013
  3. BTCGuru81

That's adorable. It's funny how many cats appear to have a big ego. They put on a proper snobby show one moment but the next are purring for affections. My mother once had a cat that would sit on her shoulder at every opportunity but refused to be petted most of the time.

BTCGuru81, Mar 31, 2013
  4. BTCGuru81

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I know, right?! I don't understand why cats do such a thing. What, the other animals in the house (even if they're just normal bugs) are going to think you're ridiculous for cuddling?! Silly things. That's also a cute story about your mother's cat! Sibyl's recently decided that my back and chest are great places to lay, but has realized she's too big for my shoulders!

blurinoctober, Mar 31, 2013
  5. BTCGuru81

Well that's good. Nothing like a large cat trying to scale your pants. My friend had a kitten who did that sort of thing. He's gladly climb up your side to perch on your shoulder. It was cute when he was little and only picked at your skin a bit. It was considerably less amusing later when he'd try it as an adult and cut you open.

BTCGuru81, Apr 1, 2013
  6. BTCGuru81

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Both of mine are little sucks!!! They will cry at you if you are not paying them enough attention! Some nights, they fall asleep in the basement with my BF and he goes to bed, and leaves them down there. The cats then wake up, and panic because they are alone. They then proceed to walk the house meowing until i call them and let them know where I am. Then they will crawl up the bed and snuggle in for cuddles.

Mine cannot be alone, if I am cooking in the kitchen, they sit on top of the fridge and watch me. If I am standing still they will come up and flop over onto my feet to be picked up.

They are just so affectionate!

Scottyxx, Apr 1, 2013
  7. BTCGuru81

Aww, you are part of their pride. I have a cat a little like this, though not so codependent about it. She will sit close by and observe EVERYTHING I'm doing with very close attention. If I'm peeling potatoes on the counter, she must be at least at eye level with the surface and watches every movement of my hand, taking note of each peel as it falls to the counter. She's very intelligent too. She clearly learns from what she sees. It's a little intimidating to be so thoroughly observed sometimes.

BTCGuru81, Apr 6, 2013
  8. BTCGuru81

Trellum Well-Known Member

My Bob is like that as well... he just loves spending time close to me :) He loves to see what I'm up to all the time, specially when he sees me using the laptop. He gets so curious and feels the need to see what I do, and then tries to get my attention. He likes me to constantly pet him and give him all my attention :p

Trellum, Mar 25, 2014
Ask a Question