Claw trimming

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by GavinMcresty, May 9, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Do you trim your cat's claws at all? We never did. We just let her wear them down on the carpets and furniture. We are not very houseproud so we did not mind. Do you cut the claws yourself or do you get someone else (like the vet) to do it for you? Does your cat mind at all?

GavinMcresty, May 9, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

mariposa Well-Known Member

We didn't have to do anything about this for the longest time... but then when it started becoming a problem, it had to be taken care of. The claws started curling back into the paw pads and that gets painful so we had to shorten them.

I could never trim in a way that could hurt her (I've heard horror stories) so we bought a "grinder" that's made for that purpose. Can't say she likes it, but those claws cutting into the paws isn't very nice either.

mariposa, May 12, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

steph84 Well-Known Member

I only trimmed my indoor cat's nails once. She is a feral cat so it was quite hard, but her nails are so long and she claws us without meaning to. The other indoor/outdoor cats have dull nails from running out in the driveway and climbing outside, but the feral cat has some sharp ones from just hanging out inside. You have to be really careful so sometimes it's just easier to have a professional do it.

steph84, May 18, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

jules Active Member

I used to have a professional do it too but now I just trim them myself. My cat does not really like it but it hurts when it scratches. I just make sure to trim slightly above the pink flesh on its paws. You have to be very careful in case the cat starts squirming around and that could lead to accidentally cutting into its flesh.

jules, May 26, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

Trellum Well-Known Member

Nope, never have and never will :p I think this kind of problem can be sorted out on its own, as the OP mentioned, cats have their own way to keep their claws under control... after all, they haven't always been the kings and queens of our houses, lol. They once were wild! They existed, survived and thrived before we ''domesticated'' them.

Trellum, Dec 5, 2013
Ask a Question