Chewing and biting

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by dgcruize, Nov 24, 2015.

1. dgcruize

dgcruize New Member

Hello, I have an (about) 14 week old Kitten and lately she's been trying to chew on everything. Because of that, I'm worried for her safety so I was wondering if you guys know any safe and effective DIY or spray that I can use on dangerous areas such as electrical cords etc? Thank you! :)
    I'm also thinking adopting another kitten close to her age to decrease the amount of bad behaviors such as the chewing and biting hands and legs or anything she can get her hands on..

dgcruize, Nov 24, 2015
  2. dgcruize

mimio Active Member

Kitten's scope of activities has not been so great, as long as reducing the risk of something within the scope of its activities would enough. Chew on everything could be kitten's nature!

mimio, Nov 24, 2015
  3. dgcruize

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I am not sure how you would deal with this. They do out grow it as they get older. Just like babies chewing on everything, kitties do the same. I have had cats all of my life and i have never really had a problem biting that they didn't outgrow. Perhaps you could talk to your vet. They may be able to give you the best advice.

Susan Brown, Nov 25, 2015
  4. dgcruize

MER Well-Known Member

We rescued both our cats when they were 8 or so weeks old. Gemma is now just over a year and Rosco is about 5 months. Gemma chewed on things anywhere from me to electrical cords. She's pretty much outgrown that now. Rosco on the other hand, I think he's teething. We found a tooth last week (vet said that's uncommon since cats usually end up swallowing their baby teeth). He chews on my fingers and my arm now. Not so much on cords but I do have several string toys that he chews on. We also have 3 - 5" tassels on our bedspread. He's been going at those too. When I catch him, I'm pulling out 2 or 3" that he's chewed down but not broken away from the spread. I am worried that he may have chewed up about 3' of string from another toy though. I haven't found that missing bit. On that note, please do not give your kitten yarn to play with. With their tongue rough and the way their mouth works, the only direction the yarn will go is down the poor cats throat. They'll just keep chewing at it till its gone. We have blankets over our soft leather sofa's. Primarily we did that until they got declawed. I'm scared to uncover them because I'll probably find chewed up or scratched leather!

MER, Nov 25, 2015
  5. dgcruize

Trellum Well-Known Member

You could try rubbing some chili on the things your cat like to chew on. You could also consider the smells cats dislike, things like citrus and eucalyptus oils. Maybe you can drive him away from those places with those smells?

Trellum, Mar 31, 2016
Ask a Question