Changing Water Dish/Fountain

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by mariposa, Apr 26, 2013.

1. mariposa

mariposa Well-Known Member

How often do you think it's a good idea to change the water in a cat's drinking fountain? Or if you don't use a fountain, then in the water dish.

If we'd use a dish, I'm sure I'd add fresh water daily, but with a fountain that needs to be cleaned out, it's a different matter... and there's a filter in there. We change the fountain water (and wash it, it gets yukky!) once a week and add fresh water to the bowl part between washings.

mariposa, Apr 26, 2013
  2. mariposa

Trace Member

I use a bowl for mine, so it gets washed out and refilled at least daily. Two of the three are longhaired and tend to shed, so there's always hair floating in it by the end of the day. I used to use a gravity feed bowl, but the noise of the bubbles going up startled one of them so badly that she refused to drink from it again, and started drinking from the toilet instead. I thought about getting the fountain type, but couldn't justify the expense or hassle, since they all seem quite content with a simple bowl. They're also quite good about letting me know if it should get empty, or if they decide it's not clean enough.

Trace, Apr 26, 2013
  3. mariposa

S.L.Diamond Member

I also use a bowl, I have never heard of a water fountain for cats and can't imagine what it must look like.
    I would say once a day is enough and then just add more water throughout the day if necessary. Sometimes the cats are somehow able to get food in their water. Sometimes I change it, sometimes I don't bother.

S.L.Diamond, Apr 29, 2013
  4. mariposa

CatFour Active Member

I empty out and change their water every day. I just use bowls, too. One of the cats, for some reason, has to put her foot in the water bowl and swish it around before she drinks. So she gets cat litter in it sometimes, so I may have to change it more than once a day.

CatFour, Apr 29, 2013
  5. mariposa

Yiddo Active Member

Every second day or sometimes every day depending on how dirty it gets.

Yiddo, Apr 30, 2013
  6. mariposa

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

We always used a bowl. To be honest, until I read about them on forums, I had never heard of fountains. We changed the water daily at least or more often if necessary. Sometimes pieces of dust or hair would be in the bowl and obviously you do not want to leave those things there for the cat to keep drinking from.

GavinMcresty, Apr 30, 2013
  7. mariposa

Jessi Well-Known Member

I add water daily, but it only really gets changed completely about once a week. If it looks dirty, then I'll obviously change it as soon as I see that.

Jessi, May 1, 2013
  8. mariposa

Trellum Well-Known Member

I use a bowl and I change the water every single day. Because Bob likes to drink fresh water only ;) He is a very picky boy when it comes to that. Plus he likes his water to be served cold during the summer, as soon as he sees me changing it he runs to me to have a zip.

Trellum, Jan 24, 2014
Ask a Question