Cats with extra toe and no tail

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dconklin, Jul 22, 2012.

1. dconklin

dconklin Active Member

I have seen the cats who have an extra toe - Polydactyl cats - and I have seen many cats that are born with no tails - the Manx - but have you ever seen the mix of a Polydactyl and a Manx?

We have a lot of wild cats in the neighborhood and I wish that I had the resources and space to take at least one in. The mom has had many litters now (she was somebody's cat who was unfixed and abandoned we found out.) She is a turtle shell calico long haired Polydactyl. The male cat that was another wild cat is a black short hair Manx.

Some of the cats from her litters have no extra toes and a tail, some of the cats have not tail and some have the extra toe. But what is really cool is that some of them have no tail and the extra toe! I can't get close enough to them to take their picture, they are wild and get real scared when you get close to them.

dconklin, Jul 22, 2012
  2. dconklin

Jessi Well-Known Member

I haven't, but I looked up some:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Awwww!

Jessi, Jul 22, 2012
  3. dconklin

dconklin Active Member

They are adorable! We have a bunch of wild cats like this, most of them are all orange tabbies that have both of these traits. The black cats gave no tail, but I haven't noticed the extra toe on them. Some of the orange tabbies have the extra toe and are not missing the tail. There is definitely a mix of cuteness in the neighborhood :)

The last bunch of kittens must have been a different dad. They all have their tales, but they are 2 yards over and too little to venture into our yard yet to see if they have the extra toe. Momma has the extra toe, so the trait is possible on the new kittens. It is so cute to watch them hop around since they were too little to actually run!

dconklin, Jul 22, 2012
  4. dconklin

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Those kittens are gorgeous. I actually think the extra toes make them even cuter. I almost feel like hugging my computer screen. You can actually see how soft and fluffy they are ,just from the picture.

ACSAPA, Jul 23, 2012
  5. dconklin

dconklin Active Member

They are so adorable! You should see the wild cats here, they are a couple yards over and often visit our yard. The kittens got into our yard for the first time today! We have a high fence and they were too small to go far from Momma before so today was a cute treat. I was doing yard work (of course no camera on me) and I looked up to see the kittens looking at me :) It made my morning!

dconklin, Jul 24, 2012
  6. dconklin

Jessi Well-Known Member

Me too! I don't know what it is about them either. Generally we see deformations as being ugly instead, but the kittens are adorable!

Jessi, Jul 24, 2012
  7. dconklin

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have had a black tabby with six toes on all four feet. Some of her kittens inherited the trait while some don't. I have seen an entire tribe of cats in one household which had six toes on every foot, every single one of them. The owner was very sure that the cats brought her luck because her bookshop had grown to be the most popular bookshop in town.

Victor Leigh, Jul 27, 2012
  8. dconklin

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Speaking of cats with extra digits, I absolutely love the Cravendale's milk commercials with cats that have thumbs. Here's the best one. When I first saw this, I forwarded it to everyone I know.

ACSAPA, Aug 1, 2012
  9. dconklin

Goodness, cats already rule without opposing thumbs. With opposing thumbs they will be exploring the entire universe. Next time I see a cat with extra digits, I am going to check very carefully to see if it has an opposing thumb.

Victor Leigh, Aug 2, 2012
  10. dconklin

steph84 Well-Known Member

There are a lot of stray cats in my neighborhood who have thumbs. We call this cute orange one "Thumbs" and one kitty abandoned a litter. We thought no one was going to want these kitties, but they flew like hot cakes. People liked their "unique" kitties.

steph84, Aug 3, 2012
  11. dconklin

Good to hear that. That's a lot better than people not wanting the kitties. I did remember that black kitties normally are harder to place. I like black kitties but a lot of people don't. Any problem like this where you live?

Victor Leigh, Aug 3, 2012
  12. dconklin

footballtim Well-Known Member

If any of you ever visit Key West, you need to see the Hemingway house. It is all about the history of Ernest Hemingway. But they also have a lot of six-toed cats running around there. Many people go there just to see the six-toed cats.

footballtim, Sep 8, 2012
  13. dconklin

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

My friends cat has extra toes, they call him "bigfoot". I had never seen anything like that before, it's funny as hell. He keeps coming up to me and sticking his one paw at me like he's trying to high-five me, which makes it even more hilarious. He is missing a tail as well, but he lost it in an accident with a dog. It's a little stub now and it's so cute when he wiggles it.

OhioTom76, Sep 9, 2012
Ask a Question