Cats throwing up

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Yolanda, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Ever since I moved out of my parents house and into my own appartement my cats have been fed Hills Feline and they also get cosma wetfood every once in a while. They loved it and were healthy, but since a while two of them start throwing up after eating it. They hardly seem to chew, even though I got the bigger dental version kibble.
    I got the tip that it might be the food so I am changing brands just to see how it works. I will be trying Sanabelle for the next couple of months and see how it works. Anyone else ever had this with their cats?

Yolanda, Nov 16, 2012
  2. Yolanda

Jessi Well-Known Member

Definitely change the food.

And yes, I have experience with digestive issues in response to various foods. It took me a long time to find one that didn't cause my older cat to throw up after every single meal.

You can't change them too often because even after switching, they may still throw up a bit during the transition or cause them to be sicker by flipping them around constantly. Switch foods and give it a couple weeks to see if there's any improvement.

Also, talk to your vet if there's anything abnormal about it or you see a drop in weight from your cat. There might be something else wrong entirely.

Jessi, Nov 16, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  3. Yolanda

Thanks for the tips Jessi. We have been to the vet and so far there doesn't seem to be anything wrong other than possibly the food. They have had this food for a couple of years now and I don't easily change brands if they are happy and healthy with what they have got, so I will definatly give this new food a good run of a couple of weeks for sure (and if it works longer off course).

Yolanda, Nov 17, 2012
  4. Yolanda

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Hey Yolanda,

As gross as it may be, what does the vomit look like?

If it is mostly big chunks of undigested foods, then they are eating too fast. Put the food up slightly off the ground so they have to chew better, it helps elongate the neck.

If it is solid, it may be a hair ball or digestive issue. In this case, check the litter tray, runny poops + blood = digestive issue.

If its yellow, or just liquid, this means the cats tummy is empty, and would suggest an issue, perhaps a digestive intolerance or something.

My cat was sick for the longest time. The fact that is is BOTH your cats and not just one could mean that its a bad batch of food, or that they are allergic / poisoned to something in common, or they are trying to out-eat each other.

My little guy has Inflamed Bowel Disease (no tests at the vet would show this up), for which there is no cure, luckily switching to a Senior food solved the issue. Senior foods are easier to digest than other foods, and they have a lower fat content also making them easier on the stomach.

Hope this helps, if you have any other issues feel free to ask! Ive been up to my eyeballs, not literary, in cat vomit for months!

Scottyxx, Nov 20, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  5. Yolanda

steph84 Well-Known Member

This happened when my cats got new food and were so excited about it that they would scarf it down. I now give them half of their new food mixed in with half of their old food so that they get used to it. If they are still getting sick then ditch the new food and stick to what is tried and true.

steph84, Nov 21, 2012
  6. Yolanda

That helps so much, Scotty! Concluding from your post, they would eat to fast. I allready got bigger kibble and I have tried an activity board so they have to eat slower but they don't use it. I can't seem to tempt them to use it. Placer it higher is a new tip, I will definatly try that! Thanks!!

Yolanda, Nov 25, 2012
  7. Yolanda

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Glad I could help! It always works to try the easiest thing first! I now have to mix my wet food with water, then put dry food on top to try and slow my guys down. They gulp it down like there is no tomorrow.

Scottyxx, Nov 25, 2012
  8. Yolanda

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have encountered this problem once in a while.

Usually it happened with some stray kittens. They were used to scavenging from the dump and ate everything as quickly as possible while they could. So when I fed them dry cat food, they would eat the same way. Scoffing it all down like it's going out of style.

Then five minutes later, they would throw up. However, they usually re-ate what they had regurgitated. Then after a couple of days, when they realized that no one was going to take their food away, they slowed down and ate properly.

End of problem.

Victor Leigh, Nov 26, 2012
  9. Yolanda

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

My cats have done this every once in a while, almost like a phase. They'd throw up for a few days and then stop again for months and months. When I've been paying attention, I've noticed it's always because they eat too much and/or too fast. I'm not sure what makes them do this in phases like that, but it's never been any long-term issue or anything worse than them just not eating like normal.

blurinoctober, Dec 3, 2012
Ask a Question