Cats standing on the top of doors...why?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Scottyxx, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Scottyxx

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Basement bathroom, less than a foot between the top of the door and the ceiling...

[​IMG]

Does anyone know why cats behave like this? I am so confused?!

Scottyxx, Mar 4, 2013
  2. Scottyxx

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Well that is certainly unique! Maybe your cat is practicing for the balance beam at the Olympics? :p
    Your cat probably just got a wild hair and decided it wanted to be up as high as possible!

CinnamonKiss, Mar 4, 2013
  3. Scottyxx

Its crazy! My boyfriend was home and he was like, all I heard was a bang and some scrambling...then he goes to check and sees this!

I hope he is in training because that's a pretty narrow ledge for a big fat cat to be sitting on!

Scottyxx, Mar 5, 2013
  4. Scottyxx

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Did he stay up there for very long? I would have thought someone broke in with all the racket he must have caused!:eek:
    Let us know if he does it again, he might make a weird habit of it and it's good for a laugh. It's funny in adorable way, if not a little odd. But when are cats not a little odd?:p

CinnamonKiss, Mar 6, 2013
  5. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Mar 6, 2013
  6. Scottyxx

HaHa! I hope mine doesn't start sleeping up there, that would be a wonderful surprise when you enter the room...a sleeping cat falling down on you!!

Scottyxx, Mar 6, 2013
  7. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lol!

I've never had Neko fall on me. I've watched her actually fall off the door in general a few times, though, because she didn't know how to get down. Or she would just sit up there and cry until someone comes to get her off the door, ha.

Jessi, Mar 7, 2013
  8. Scottyxx

I can never work out how they always know how to get up, then get to scared to go down?! Bandit did the same last night! He was on top of the fridge and I gave him a piece of meat, he had it in his mouth and was just circling the top of the fridge crying because he couldn't work out how to get down!

Scottyxx, Mar 7, 2013
  9. Scottyxx

steph84 Well-Known Member

I love it when cats do this. They are just more comfortable being higher up and having a view of what everyone else is doing. I love this! I have seen a lot of cats like this on that show "My Cat From Hell." Some just like being higher.

steph84, Mar 12, 2013
  10. Scottyxx

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

I would like to know how cats even pull this maneuver off? I brought in a stray who was clearly socialized to people at one time in his life. He was highly restless indoors, clearly feeling out of place. At one point, and I didn't see it happen, he got ontop of the door leading into my stairwell. The thing is, I know cats are good jumpers but the top of this door is like 10 feet off the floor. It's up a step and this animal was just hanging out up there. Has anyone actually caught their cat in the act?

BTCGuru81, Mar 27, 2013
  11. Scottyxx

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep!

My sister's cat cheats. She climbs on doors that have things hanging on them (like a shoe rack on the back). Or they can jump from other slightly higher areas (like from a counter top onto the top of the door).

I have only seen one go straight from the ground and they sort of bounced off the door and up to the top. It had to pull itself onto the top. It definitely wasn't graceful, but I don't think it cared.

Jessi, Mar 27, 2013
  12. Scottyxx

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

This is hilarious! I didn't know they could wall jump. See, we just have a basic cheap door on the stair well with no type of texture or beveling. So it's not like there was anything for him to grab onto.

BTCGuru81, Mar 28, 2013
  13. Scottyxx

Trellum Well-Known Member

Cats have the tendency to climb onto things :p It's not as weird as it seems, I've noticed that for cats the higher the better :) My Bob loved to climb trees, I think that made him feel powerful and unreachable :p

Trellum, Apr 29, 2015
  14. Scottyxx

jeskalillis Active Member

The cat would probably benefit from having a tall cat tree or something mounted high on the wall so it can get up there and sleep or whatnot. Your cat probably just prefers high places.

When my mom's cat had kittens, the kittens used to run and chase each other down the hall. They loved climbing on the door to the bathroom. They would wrap their little bodies around the side of the door and see how far up they could go. It was so funny watching them, it was almost like a competition to see who could climb the farthest.

jeskalillis, May 3, 2015
  15. Scottyxx

Trellum Well-Known Member

That actually sounds like a great idea :) I think I need to get one of those tall cat trees for my Bob, back when he was an outdoors cat he loved climbing high trees and look down on everyone from very high trees. Lol. Most cat's love climbing ;) It's in their genes. Really fascinating!

Trellum, May 10, 2015
    jeskalillis likes this.
Ask a Question