Cats sleeping under blankets

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

A friend of mine has told me in the past that their cat will curl up under the blankets and sleep like a person. I always assumed they were exaggerating or that really, if they just covered them up, then the cat would stay and not fight it.

But nope, I saw it myself yesterday. The cat dug itself underneath the covers, peeked its head out a bit, and went to sleep. Apparently he does this a lot!

Do your cats ever get under the covers?

Jessi, Mar 4, 2013
    glitteringfuzz likes this.
  2. Jessi

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Nope, that's definitely not normal cat behavior and my cat doesn't do it.
    The rat terrier that I take care of for an elderly relative likes to climb in bed with me and lets himself be covered up. He's a small ,yappy dog and he gets cold easily. It's really cute that your friend's cat likes to sleep under the covers.
    Some cats act almost like people.

ACSAPA, Mar 4, 2013
  3. Jessi

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Bandit will not, but Pussington will. If you tuck her in with you she will sleep under the blankets with her head sticking out like a little person. Its just too cute!

I don't think it is normal though, Pussington is anything but normal..

Scottyxx, Mar 4, 2013
  4. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

I definitely don't think it's normal at all. I have my fair share of experience with cats and this is a first for me, ha. It's adorable, though. I'll try to get some pictures so you guys can see him.

Jessi, Mar 4, 2013
  5. Jessi

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

None of our cats do and none in the past have. It sounds so cute though, I kind of wish our cats would try it. I hope you get some pictures, can't wait to see the cuteness!:)

CinnamonKiss, Mar 4, 2013
  6. Jessi

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Sibyl went through a phase where she did this! For about two months, if we didn't let her sleep under the blankets with us, she'd wait until we were asleep and then sneak herself in. For some reason she doesn't do this anymore, but it happened. I'm glad she doesn't, honestly, it was a bit annoying to share blanket space with her and my girlfriend! Hah.

blurinoctober, Mar 7, 2013
  7. Jessi

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cats love to go under the covers! I just lift up the blanket and they run under there. It's so cute, but it's itchy during the summer time. I don't let them sleep with me like that every night. Sometimes my allergies act up.

steph84, Mar 8, 2013
  8. Jessi

snooks New Member

snooks, Apr 9, 2013
  9. Jessi

snooks New Member

mine does...she crawls under the covers with me every nite.

snooks, Apr 9, 2013
  10. Jessi

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Here's Bandit when he just got home from the vet. He is snuggled under a pillow case.

[​IMG]

Scottyxx, Apr 9, 2013
  11. Jessi

Trace Member

For two of my three, being covered is a weather-dependent thing. The oldest one burrows in winter or when he's not feeling well, and it doesn't much matter whether it's the bed, or a blanket on the couch, or a basket full of dirty laundry. The other burrows in the bed, anytime I'm not in it. Oddly, she sleeps on top of the covers when I am in it. I suppose that's because it's easier to get out of if I get too restless. The third rarely allows herself to be covered at all.

Trace, Apr 14, 2013
  12. Jessi

S.L.Diamond Member

Sebby, loves going under the covers, he purrs so loud it sounds like a lawn mower, lol. He rarely sticks his head out though, if he does he tries to go on my pillow, which is a no, no. He seems to think it's okay to put his paws on it and I'm afraid I might catch pink eye, lol.
    I had a cat when I was a kid, I don't talk about her,:( but yea, she used to lie under the sheets and stick her head out.

S.L.Diamond, Apr 26, 2013
  13. Jessi

glitteringfuzz Member

This is the most adorable thing of all time. I've never had a cat that did this, but I hope I can someday.

That's a really good idea and a good point! I've never thought about that before. I'm going to start using this rule!

glitteringfuzz, Apr 27, 2013
    S.L.Diamond likes this.
  14. Jessi

S.L.Diamond Member

Haha! thats cool, lol. But don't take everything I say as gold, I am always over worrying about these kind of things. Like after the cats use the litter tray, I wondered whether I should wash their paws before picking them up. I mean we wash our hands, right? So maybe their paws are covered in germs, but then I thought maybe when they lick themselves it somehow gets rid of them. I don't know, lol. I think too much into things. :rolleyes:
    Thanks for your reply.

S.L.Diamond, Apr 29, 2013
  15. Jessi

mariposa Well-Known Member

Our cat doesn't climb under blankets like that, but about 50% of the time if we cover her to sleep because it's very cold, she'll keep the blanket on at least for a little while. Other times she can't get out of there fast enough.

Now climbing into things like boxes luggage, larger totes, etc... totally different story and she does that constantly. :D

mariposa, Apr 30, 2013
  16. Jessi

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Our cat used to sleep under the blankets. Sometimes, it would be quite difficult to know where she was so you had to tread carefully as you went in! At night, she used to sleep on my dad's feet, which was great for him in winter. It was rather less comfortable in the summer though.

GavinMcresty, May 2, 2013
  17. Jessi

Britt24xoxo Member

My cat does the exact same thing. Whenever I'm laying in bed and he happens to walk in the room and see me...it's over. He immediately hops up onto the bed and curls up under the blankets with me. I do have to say that he doesn't fall asleep instantly though. He tosses and turns worse than any person I know before falling asleep. It makes me smile everytime.

Britt24xoxo, May 5, 2013
Ask a Question