Cats only 'meow' to humans

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Becky, Jun 14, 2013.

1. Becky

Becky Well-Known Member

I learned recently that cats meow to their mothers when they are kittens, but they stop meowing after that. Adult cats do not meow to each other, just humans. I never knew that!

Interesting article about cat communication on Wikipedia.

Becky, Jun 14, 2013
  2. Becky

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I didn't know that either. It's interesting that cats only meow to humans and their mothers, that means they think humans are their parents. And here I thought they just saw us as maids and waitresses.

ACSAPA, Jun 15, 2013
  3. Becky

mariposa Well-Known Member

Yes, I saw this in the pet section of webmd some time ago. That doesn't mean that they don't have ways to communicate to each other, though... they just make other kinds of sounds when they're "talking" to each other. That would include those hisses and growls and low rumblings when something gets too close. :)

You're right, ACSAPA... I do think they know we're the staff and we'd better hop to their bidding immediately!!

mariposa, Jun 18, 2013
  4. Becky

TheBrit Member

That answers a lot about one of the ferrels I was adopted by when a small kitten cat. Everytime he came in he would meow at me. As time went on he would meow for food, to be let out if the door was closed or just for a chat. He was almost like a dog in some of his mannerisms.
    Had three initially who were with me for around eighteen months. A couple of months ago the Tabby went out at night, none of them liked staying in at night, then a month ago Blacky went missing in the same manner, never to be seen again. I tell myself they have probably just taken up residence elsewhere but I fear the worst. A little ginger tabby is the only one left now but she has been neutered and not so prone to wander. Goes out at night then climbs up to sleep on the balcony until I let her in in the morning.

TheBrit, Jun 21, 2013
  5. Becky

Jezebella Member

I volunteer with a feral cat program and one of the interesting thing is that the feral cats don't really meow. When we have one that does it is because it has had exposure to people and realize that making that sounds results in food or other positive rewards, or sometimes that the cat is not truly a feral cat, but a stray. I was unaware of that before I started volunteering with that program, but I've learned a lot about cats since I started.

Jezebella, Jun 24, 2013
    Becky likes this.
  6. Becky

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

That makes sense. Since feral cats aren't used to talking to people, it wouldn't make sense for them to meow.
    Before reading this thread, I thought all cats meowed. I didn't know that it was a way of communicating with people.

ACSAPA, Jun 25, 2013
  7. Becky

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I've heard this, and believed it for a while, but I don't anymore! I have two cats and they meow at each other at last a few times a week. They'll be playing or eating together and simply meow back and forth, for no other reason than to talk to each other. I have no clue if they take it as meaning anything, but it can go on for 10 minutes at a time, even longer if I decide to start talking to them during the span! Regardless, they start it themselves entirely, not me or another human!

blurinoctober, Jun 26, 2013
  8. Becky

Epicfied Well-Known Member

Exactly! My Pepsi will call for Neko. Meows are still meows!

This is really interesting though. It's a nice thought and it'd make sense but I don't think it goes for every cat.

Epicfied, Jul 6, 2013
  9. Becky

Trellum Well-Known Member

Wow!!! I really wonder why they meo at us then??? They're so smart, maybe they think they're actually communicating with us :) Like when we talk to each other, maybe they think we understand them :)

Trellum, Nov 27, 2013
Ask a Question