Cat's have Nine Lives? Of Course Not

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by pafjlh, Mar 12, 2015.

1. pafjlh

pafjlh Well-Known Member

No doubt we have all heard the saying Cat's have nine lives. Its been around for years and there is even a brand of cat food with that name. But of course this isn't true. Cats only live once, and certainly don't resurrect. So, where does this myth come from.

Well, some believe it comes from anceint Egypt where the cat was revered or from anceint China were Cats were considered lucky and so was the number nine. Perhpas the myth stuck for so long because cats seem to be reslient creatures. They can survive in exteme elements yet know what to do to get through. Cats can also fall from high distances that could kill other animals yet will amazingly land on their feet. Also, Cats reproduce many times if not fixed. Some of thier off spring can look so much lke the mother cat that they could be their mini me, in other words their exact duplicate. So in a way the cat created its own clone to take it place in the future.

Who knows where the nine lives myth comes into play, or why its stuck over the years. But anyway, cats only actually live once so while we have our cats love them.

pafjlh, Mar 12, 2015
    Katt likes this.
  2. pafjlh

Katt Member

There is this saying about cats having nine lives: ' for three they play, for three they stray and for three they stay'.
    It is their strong survival instincts and capabilities that have inspired such myths. Also, scientists have discovered that by purring cats heal their bodies.

Katt, Mar 12, 2015
  3. pafjlh

Trellum Well-Known Member

Wow, really? Where did you read about the purring part, Katt? That is very interesting, but I'd like ot check where you read that? You know, I like to do that before even mentioning it to someone during a conversation ;P I like to check sources, but it does sound very interesting! I will Google it!

Trellum, Mar 13, 2015
  4. pafjlh

Katt Member

I am not sure I am allowed to post a link, but read this exercept for example:

Not all purrs are purrs of contentment. Cats will purr when they are stressed, in pain, or severely ill. Often, cats at the end of life will purr. Cats enter life and leave life on a purr.

What makes a purr a purr has tickled the curiosity of the scientific community for years. Studies find that purrs oscillate at a low frequency of 25 to 100 HZ. These frequencies promote bone healing and ease muscle pain. Clinical trials of people receiving ultrasound treatments have proven that low-frequency/intensity ultrasound accelerates healing in fractures. Purrs reassure and soothe, they promote healing, and reduce pain.

There are also reports that cats heal faster than other animals that do not purr, and that purring releases endorphins. Endorphins reduce pain while healing takes place. Purring is the feline equivalent of expensive ultrasound treatments, without medical bills.

Katt, Mar 13, 2015
Ask a Question