Cats Getting Along

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by doublelady, Dec 26, 2011.

1. doublelady

doublelady Active Member

If you have multiple cats, how well do they all get along? My three cats like each other pretty well and enjoy spending time together. They don't cuddle or sleep curled up together, but they enjoy playing with each other and sleeping in the same area.

doublelady, Dec 26, 2011
  2. doublelady

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

My cats get along after a few days of hissing. What I do is let them eat from separate bowls placed within sight of each other but out of paw's reach.

Victor Leigh, Dec 26, 2011
  3. doublelady

amy005 Well-Known Member

I had an older male adult cat for a few years and then adopted a kitten. At first the kitten tried playing with the older cat constantly. However, my older cat didn't want anything to do with him and just hissed. He was territorial since he was here first and probably felt threatened by the younger cat. Eventually the two became best friends and even cuddled up next to each other.

amy005, Dec 28, 2011
  4. doublelady

Alli Well-Known Member

My two get along great- the older boy cat thinks the girl cat is his kitten- when she was a baby he would lick and groom her and now he protects her. She likes cuddling up with him- I think she likes him better than she likes me!

Alli, Dec 31, 2011
  5. doublelady

You have a very motherly tom. Usually it's the tabbies that exhibit this type of behavior. For a tom to do it is rather unusual.

Victor Leigh, Dec 31, 2011
  6. doublelady

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Every time I get an additional cat, they hate each other at first and end up falling in love with each other and end up cuddling and falling asleep together. Right now, my baby is the only cat I have, but I have had many multiple cats in the past. The most I had were six at a time and they all got along just fine.

Belligerent, Jan 4, 2012
  7. doublelady

magickat Well-Known Member

I currently have six cats and they all get along pretty well most of the time. Only the oldest one is a bit of a loner and tires of the others quickly, but she is the same with people too, so i guess it's just her personality :)

magickat, Jan 9, 2012
  8. doublelady

My record was about 15. And they all slept on my bed. On me, actually. So I didn't need any blanket. Nor could I turn in my sleep.

Victor Leigh, Jan 9, 2012
    magickat likes this.
  9. doublelady

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Haha.. I have this problem with one cat! She likes to lay on my side or my back when I'm sleeping. I always get uncomfortable but of course my princess gets what she wants!

Belligerent, Jan 11, 2012
  10. doublelady

It's really worrisome especially with small kittens. I always have this nightmare that I might turn in my sleep and crush one of them. So far so good.

Victor Leigh, Jan 11, 2012
  11. doublelady

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Booger and Tigger get along fine but I got them at around the same time and they were both kittens. They are both about 5 years old now. Bella I just got and she's young and she drives them insane. I honestly think that's why they spend all their time in the utility room they're trying to avoid her. LOL

SheWolfSilver, Feb 4, 2012
  12. doublelady

I have experienced this with my older cats when new cats join the household. Some even go so far as to just sit up on top of the cupboard and refuse to come down except at meal times.

Victor Leigh, Feb 5, 2012
  13. doublelady

Towncow New Member

All four of our cats have distinct personalities. They all have their areas to sleep in and only two seem to tolerate each other. One almost solely lives in our bedroom waiting for us to show up at bedtime ~~~ to sleep ON us. You just gotta love-em, even when you wake up at 3am with them sleeping on your head. Anybody else have this problem???

Towncow, Feb 13, 2012
  14. doublelady

magickat Well-Known Member

Oh yes, several of my cats seem to regard my head as a pillow lol. Sometimes I wake up and find all six cats dotted around the bed. I can't really move but it is a nice feeling to be surrounded by them all :)

magickat, Feb 13, 2012
  15. doublelady

Sleep on you? That sounds like one of my cats. She would sit up on the cupboard somewhere and pretend to be asleep. Until I am asleep. Then she would come down and sleep on me.

Victor Leigh, Feb 16, 2012
  16. doublelady

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

My kitty's all get along well most of the time. When a newbie is introduced a few of the others will hiss at them for a day or two.

Micheleteresa, Feb 18, 2012
  17. doublelady

joshistraining Member

Mine don't usually fight, they'll bat each other away with their paws but that's about it, my younger black cat usually jumps on my Russian blue cat for no reason haha.

joshistraining, Feb 19, 2012
  18. doublelady

From my personal experience, I find that kittens more readily accept new friends. Of course, the new friends have to be kittens, too. Also grown cats quite readily accept new kittens.

Victor Leigh, Feb 24, 2012
  19. doublelady

wils172 Active Member

Whenever my cats first meet theirs always resistance, but they almost always tend to get along after awhile.

wils172, Feb 24, 2012
Ask a Question