Cats eating things you wouldn't ordinarily think they would..

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Evilsprinkles, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Evilsprinkles

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Zod, the cat I own now, isn't much of a meat eater. He will eat the Applaws chicken variety kibble I feed him, but actual chicken? He turns his nose up. I could sit him next to an open can of tuna, and he wouldn't touch it.

Cream cheese? I have almost lost my eyeballs for cream cheese. He loves dairy, although I don't let him have much. He also seems to like houmous.

I used to own a stray cat, he was on the streets for five years before we adopted him. He survived fishing things out of bins, and got quite fat doing it. He wasn't eating meet though. He was eating veggies.

We discovered his love for them, when my mother was peeling potatoes one day. He went MAD. He was up on the counter, GRABBING the peelings, and shoveling them in his mouth like the best thing he'd ever tasted. He loved cucumber, mushrooms, peas and turnip, but he wasn't hot for carrots. The vet said he was in such good condition, because he'd eaten a largely veggie diet, with the odd bit of meat here and there. We were amazed. I've never seen a cat go bonkers for spud peelings, ever.

Does your cat ever eat anything weird?

Evilsprinkles, Aug 17, 2012
  2. Evilsprinkles

dashboardc33 Active Member

My cat eats anything and everything. She is such a begger! When I am eating dinner she will sit there and just stare at my food. If I have to walk away from my dinner for any reason she is right up at the table eating whatever it is that is on my plate. I swear she eats more than I do! Her food dish is always full too. I guess she just prefers human food over cat food.

dashboardc33, Aug 17, 2012
    Evilsprinkles likes this.
  3. Evilsprinkles

Jessi Well-Known Member

Our cats aren't allowed people food at all, so they don't really have anything weird. The only real exception is that the younger one likes playing with peas and therefore often eating them once she "catches" them.

Jessi, Aug 17, 2012
    Evilsprinkles likes this.
  4. Evilsprinkles

Peas are clearly VERY DANGEROUS.

I was saved from a perilous bag of frozen green beans once, but that was by my dog, and not my cat. He ate them all. I didn't know whether to be impressed or horrified.

Evilsprinkles, Aug 20, 2012
  5. Evilsprinkles

I have to say, the cat I own now, doesn't beg so much. If I have a yoghurt or some cream cheese, then he will try and take it OFF me, there's no begging it's all GRABBY HANDS I WANT IT NOW. He almost got his head stuck in a yoghurt pot once, he was trying to reach the bottom, and wasn't satisfied until he forced his face into it.

Evilsprinkles, Aug 20, 2012
  6. Evilsprinkles

andrew320 Well-Known Member

I find it amazing the dichotomy of our two cats. One absolutely loves any human food, while the other detests it (except for butter) and only wants his cat food. It's very darling to see. My lady gives Batman, the cat who loves human food, something from the table now and then, which I protest against at times. When she has toast, Max, the hater of human food, tries to lick the butter. Quite cute!

andrew320, Aug 31, 2012
  7. Evilsprinkles

footballtim Well-Known Member

My young Bengal Phoebe eats string and swallows it. When we try to catch her in the act, she looks up at us and makes sure she swallows it quickly to get rid of the evidence. Fortunately, it has been a few months since she has done that.

footballtim, Aug 31, 2012
  8. Evilsprinkles

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My cat just eats meat that doesn't belong to her. No one can eat a Slim Jim or beef jerky around her. She also has a thing for New England clam chowder.
    I'm amazed that some of your pets eat vegetables. My cat looks at vegetables with disdain and won't touch them.

ACSAPA, Aug 31, 2012
  9. Evilsprinkles

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have had some stray kittens which were really excited by the smell of salted fish. Very often I would cook a bit of salted fish together with my rice. When I do that, the kittens would circle the pot until the rice is cooked. Then I had to give them their share or they wouldn't leave me alone.

Victor Leigh, Sep 1, 2012
  10. Evilsprinkles

I think cats have a thing for scrambled eggs too, I've seen videos of cats going absolutely ballistic for it.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 2, 2012
  11. Evilsprinkles

Jessi Well-Known Member

Jessi, Sep 2, 2012
  12. Evilsprinkles

steph84 Well-Known Member

I believe it! My cats love corn and corn products (like chips and popcorn) and I think it is so weird, but it makes sense because all of the cat food on the market has corn meal in it and so they're now into eating corn.

steph84, Sep 3, 2012
  13. Evilsprinkles

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Cats eating corn on the cob? That's really odd alright. I think they might be interested in the salty taste of butter on the corn.

Victor Leigh, Sep 3, 2012
  14. Evilsprinkles

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well then do you want to explain the ones that aren't even cooked, so they don't have salt or butter?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:D

Jessi, Sep 4, 2012
  15. Evilsprinkles

kalasin Member

My cat has NEVER gone for people food with the one exception of Mcdonald's Chicken Nuggets. She went bananas trying to sneak up on us from multiple angles. From that alone I stopped eating McNuggets.

kalasin, Sep 9, 2012
  16. Evilsprinkles

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I surprised you were able to find that many photos of cats eating corn. I have never heard of cats eating corn ,especially raw corn. That is so odd. I wonder what makes cats crave corn. The GIF of the black and white cat eating corn on the cob is really cute.

ACSAPA, Sep 26, 2012
  17. Evilsprinkles

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

My friends cat will eat slices of lunchmeat mid air. You toss it and he'll jump for it and inhale it like it never existed. He's also very fond of alcohol for some reason. Every time we have cocktails there he hangs around our glasses like he's about to take a sip.

OhioTom76, Oct 1, 2012
  18. Evilsprinkles

Jessi Well-Known Member

That would concern me. Do they let him have sips then? Or leave out glasses that he's bound to get into? I can't imagine that being good for him.

I have a relative who lets their dog drink beer regularly, though. I have to wonder what it does to their systems. :S

Jessi, Oct 1, 2012
  19. Evilsprinkles

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

My cats LOVE people food. My guy will grab your spoon as you are eating cereal to try and redirect the spoon to his mouth. My little girl loves drinking people juice, she always shoves her head into any glass that is on the floor, you have to watch her, she is so sneaky!

Scottyxx, Oct 1, 2012
  20. Evilsprinkles

I should see if I can get Zod to go for corn on the cob. I've seen a few nomming at it, I suppose it's a question of their taste. He's picky, but then I did have a cat that was really, REALLY into eating vegetables. He went for them like some cats go for salmon and tuna, it was a trip to watch. He WAS a stray though, so that would have explained a lot.

Evilsprinkles, Oct 1, 2012
Ask a Question