cats crying/meowing

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by doglvr, Feb 5, 2015.

1. doglvr

doglvr Member

Being a new cat owner I haven't learned "cat speak" yet. Why are my cats/meowing/yowling so much. They came from a house where they mostly lived in a cellar to a house with cat toys in every room, cat scratching posts, cat beds and every other comfort they can imagine. The only time they seem content is when I'm reading and they're in my lap. I know they're not unhappy because of the purring and pawing everything I own. I'd be grateful for just a hint of what's inside their heads. Thanks

doglvr, Feb 5, 2015
  2. doglvr

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Maybe it just comes down to getting use to a new environment. Cats can get use to certain things, even a terrible environment as you outlined these cats came from. Also, they have a new owner which is also an adjustment to a cat. Believe me I learn that like anyone else cats are use to certain patterns, as I found out this past week. Change that pattern for them and they can become upset, not understanding what is going on. The best thing to do is give them time to adjust and continue to show them love. You said it yourself the only time they are content is when you hold them it probably makes them feel more secure when you show them that affection. Over time odds are they will adjust to their new surroundings and realize that they are loved in your home.

pafjlh, Feb 8, 2015
  3. doglvr

Trellum Well-Known Member

For cats meowing it's a way to communicate themselves, sometimes my cat starts meowing just like that, all of a sudden! Most of the times he does that to let me know he saw something or that he wants some attention. Cats are like that :p Also they could be meowing because they're learning to adapt to the new house.

Trellum, Feb 8, 2015
  4. doglvr

mimio Active Member

As far as my experience, there has the following possibles:
    1. The hungry or thirsty.
    2. Want to go to the toilet and can't find the right place.
    3. Afraid.
    4. Heat.
    According to what you said, most probably because of fear to a strange environment.

mimio, Feb 10, 2015
  5. doglvr

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi doglvr,
    There are some kinds of cats that are just really, really chatty. For example, some folks don't like Siamese because they 'talk too much.' I have a tuxie, Zack, whose earned the nickname 'Yacky Zack'. You'll find that cats don't like competition, which includes computers, newspapers, books, knitting, anything that diverts your attention away from them. I've learned over the years that you just have to figure a way to settle the cat on your lap, position the book and read in a strangely uncomfortable position to make the cat happy. It's really quite cool that they've taken to you and want to cuddle in your lap--you should be flattered--they're showing you how much they like you.
    k

Kay Dougall, Mar 4, 2015
  6. doglvr

Anne Well-Known Member

When my cat started to grow I heard more and more new sounds emerging. I was new to cats and never knew exactly to make of them. As I read I came to find out the sounds could have so many different meanings but they were always trying to communicate something.

http://www.catchat.org/meowing.html

Anne, Mar 9, 2015
  7. doglvr

Katt Member

You will become accustomed in time to what each meow means. For now,they are just probably craving for attention. My younger cat always 'talks' to me when I come home, telling me about how his day went.

Katt, Mar 12, 2015
Ask a Question