cats claws

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by doglvr, May 7, 2015.

1. doglvr

doglvr Member

I love having my cats on my lap but how do you keep the claws from digging in. When it's cold I have a blanket on my knees but, now, it's getting warm. Both of my cats love being in my lap or on my shoulder but it hurts.

doglvr, May 7, 2015
  2. doglvr

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, the claw retraction is supposed to be automatic for some cats, if they don't already do it... well, there is a problem. Most cats I've had retracted their claws when playing around with me, so far the only cat that didn't do that was the cat of my in laws...

Trellum, May 7, 2015
  3. doglvr

Bloomsie Active Member

When cats feel comfortable and relaxed, they tend to retract their claws which is their form of kneading. It's basically their perspective of showing you love, but in a way that's hurting you. I guess you can say that this is a version of "Tough Love"! :p

My cat often does that to me before going to bed. He goes under the covers and plops himself right on my chest and begins to kneed on my collarbone area which obviously hurts quite a bit. Usually what I do is when it begins to dig in, I pet his paw gently and his claws retract almost immediately and he doesn't knead with his claws for a good period of time and he would then just knead with his paw. But sometimes he goes back to the claw because that's his comfort zone.

Because I always pet my cat's paw when he digs his claws into me, its almost like a Pavlov effect where he understands what to do. I would try and train your cat in that way. If he or she is actually clawing into your skin, just pet their paws. Nearly all cats will retract their claws because it's a feeling that they aren't used to and at first will make them feel slightly uncomfortable, but then they will be trained enough to understand "no claws".

Bloomsie, May 8, 2015
  4. doglvr

doglvr Member

Good advice. Hope it works so I can put the blanket away for the summer.

doglvr, May 8, 2015
Ask a Question