Cats and Q-tips?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by CinnamonKiss, Dec 2, 2012.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Does your cat or cats have a weird fascination with Q-tips?
    Dusty has this weird fetish with them and it worries me he'll eat the cotton off of them and make himself sick. We sometimes have them on the counter in our bathroom and Dusty likes being on the divider and counter-tops occasionally. The problem is that when he sees a q-tip, even if it's hidden between two items, he will dig it out and then jump down to the floor with it in his mouth where he proceeds to pull the cotton off the ends. Usually he rips it off the stick but sometimes he acts as if he's going to eat it, so then I have to pull cotton out of his mouth. We've become better/smarter about keeping our q-tips put away but I know Dusty is just waiting for one of us to slip up!

CinnamonKiss, Dec 2, 2012
  2. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

I actually have no idea. I guess they probably would like them. We don't ever have them out in the open where they could get to them, though. They'd have to dig through the trash to ever have access.

Jessi, Dec 3, 2012
  3. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

YES. Sibyl loves Q-tips! If you drop one on the floor or even throw it away in a trashcan she can reach, she's all over it. She's never tried to eat it, like yours has, but she uses them as play toys. Swatting at them, chasing them, etc. She done this from the time she was a kitten and since she never eats them, I don't see any harm in her getting to one every once in a while. It's bad luck that yours decides to eat them too!

blurinoctober, Dec 4, 2012
  4. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Mine have never done this with Qtips! Pussington hates them though because I use them to clean out her mitey ears, so whenever she sees them now she runs for the hills!

Scottyxx, Dec 4, 2012
  5. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

We used to keep ours in a drawer but the we bought the bazillion count that was too big for the drawers. We left them in the package on the counter but the flap had already been opened and Dusty is never dissuaded by a mere flap :p
    Your cat just playing with them is the way to go, blurinoctober. I wish Dusty had kept his mouth off of them. He has toys and wildlife to chase so maybe he's confused the q-tips for toys. What I wouldn't give to figure out what he's thinking!
    We've never had a cat with mites problems Scottyxx, but it's maybe for the best your cat hates them. Our cats ears stay pretty clean and we check regularly.
    We haven't had any incidents in a while so maybe with them put away Dusty has stopped checking for them.:)

CinnamonKiss, Dec 4, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  6. CinnamonKiss

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cats just like to put their little noses to them and give them a sniff. I got scared when I first saw the name of this thread. I wouldn't dream of trying to put a Q-tip in my cats' ears. They would freak out and knowing my luck, it would cut stuck in their ear.

steph84, Dec 5, 2012
  7. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Oh, geez. Can you imagine? My cat would probably do the same thing if I gave her the chance. We just took our kitten to the vet when she had ear mites. He cleaned them out for us and gave us some medication to give her and that was that. No worries about her moving too much and getting a Q-Tip lodged somewhere it shouldn't be.

blurinoctober, Dec 6, 2012
  8. CinnamonKiss

Trellum Well-Known Member

My bob doesn't care about them, not once they stop being in my hand. He seems to show interest in everything I'm holding, but I think he does that because he feels jealous and just wants some attention :p

Trellum, May 10, 2015
Ask a Question