Cat treats

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Yolanda, Nov 27, 2011.

1. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

Do you give your cat special cat treats and which ones? I would love to hear the experiences you have. My cats aren't too fond of many treats. A few of them liked the frostdried fish and chicken snacks by Cosma (I wrote a review on their wet food, in case someones interested in reading it ;-), but by far not all of them. A few others liked Beaphar Zahnies, which are treats that help clean their teeth. So far I haven't found a treat all of my cats like. If you know something that is tasty and healthy, please share!

Yolanda, Nov 27, 2011
  2. Yolanda

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cats love Friskie's Party Mix or Purina's Whisker Lickins. They don't like Pounce treats and refuse to eat them (I had bought 6 bottles that were on sale and ended up donating them to my local cat shelter). I have never heard about Cosma snacks. I'll have to check out your review. I have been giving my longhaired cat Whiskas Temptations hair ball treats and they have been doing the job.

steph84, Nov 28, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  3. Yolanda

magickat Well-Known Member

My cats all love treats. Whiskas do a nice selection and they also like the sticks from Aldi which you break into little pieces. I try to get them a nice selection of different ones to try at Christmas.

magickat, Nov 28, 2011
  4. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Good to hear about all those different treats, I'll have to give them a try sometime. Especially the ones against fur balls sound interesting.

Yolanda, Nov 28, 2011
  5. Yolanda

mustangsaguaro Member

I personally think treats are not good for our cats. If I do give me cat a treat which is everyonce in a while he gets a piece of raw hamburger, raw beef hearts or some mackerel. This is every once in a blue moon he get's this. He's an outdoor cat and I know he gets his fair shair of mice, birds and ground squirrels. The treats that are in the grocery stores if you read the labels are loaded with all sorts of nasty ingredients. If your going to feed your cat a treat feed it a healthy treat and not the grocery store ones. Your only asking for problems in the future.

mustangsaguaro, Dec 1, 2011
  6. Yolanda

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

Yes, my cats love Friskies party mix! It only comes in a small bag and I have 6 cats... so I have to buy a lot of those little bags for a special treat.

Wahcashmom, Dec 2, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  7. Yolanda

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Green Seven thinks that it's a treat if I would take something out of my mouth and give to him. I think he's a real smart cookie. He probably figured out that whatever I eat must be tasty.

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2011
  8. Yolanda

Belligerent Well-Known Member

Most cats I've had seem to go crazy for Temptations. It's a bit scary. I only give my cat Temptations once a week.. if you leave them out, they will usually chew through the bag. I'm not sure what they put in them!

Belligerent, Dec 16, 2011
    SassyBrat likes this.
  9. Yolanda

Temptations? I don't think I have seen this brand where I live. How about taking a bite of it to find out? Just a little nip would do. You can always wash your mouth out afterwards. Who knows, you might even get tempted by it!

Victor Leigh, Dec 16, 2011
  10. Yolanda

Haha! They smell awful. I used to eat dog food when I was a little girl.. also, fish food and dirt. Maybe if I was a kid again, I'd like them. xD

Belligerent, Dec 22, 2011
  11. Yolanda

You mean they stink like dead rats? If that is the case, then I am not surprised that your cats go crazy over them.

Victor Leigh, Dec 22, 2011
    Wallie0921 likes this.
  12. Yolanda

They have a fishy smell.. so it would make sense that my cat loves them! They're definitely not for me though. xD

Belligerent, Dec 22, 2011
  13. Yolanda

doublelady Active Member

My cats love bits of unmarinated meat when we are cooking. Venison and chicken seem to be their favorites. When we dry out jerky, we make a few plain pieces for them and feed them tiny bits once or twice a week.

doublelady, Dec 23, 2011
  14. Yolanda

amy005 Well-Known Member

My cat pretty much eats any kind of treat. He even tries getting into my dog treats sometimes! He is pretty spoiled always asking for more food actually.

amy005, Dec 30, 2011
  15. Yolanda

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, my two big guys love treats! I used to give to them once a day and they only liked Temptations chicken flavor. Now they bug me for treats 2 or 3 times a day with sorrowful eyes and rushing to their "treat locations" and like just about any kind I give them. Mostly I give Temptations, all flavors, but they like Pounce, Rival and Friskies Party Mix also. They have 2 treat locations...a set of sherpa covered stairs for cats...the youngest on the top step and the older on the bottom, and a cat shelf on a window ledge (the younger) and the footstool where I watch TV (the older one).

I disagree with the answer that grocery store treats are worse than people food which I do not feed my cat, and I think outside cats eating mice and birds are in the most danger of getting worms and sick and worse.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 24, 2012
  16. Yolanda

SassyBrat Member

Mine too! They have figured out what cupboard they are in! So I had to change that up! LOL!

SassyBrat, Feb 8, 2012
  17. Yolanda

inTHEsane Active Member

My cat Tiger only ever like pounce cat treats and in the later years she became more picky and really had to be in the mood.
    The special treats I use to give my cats were good pieces of cheese, milk, and then MEAT! That cute princess you see in
    my lap on my avatar would rip steak right out your hand with a finger or two attached!

inTHEsane, Feb 23, 2012
  18. Yolanda

magickat Well-Known Member

I disagree, grocery store treats are not full of nasty ingredients, at least not the ones I buy! And the whole idea is that they are a treat to be given sparingly. Raw meat can be a source of toxoplasmosis which is infectious for cats and people.

magickat, Feb 23, 2012
  19. Yolanda

mustangsaguaro Member

Not to start an argument here but the treats I was referring to are the cheap treats gotten at the regular grocery stores. Not the treats one can get at the pet stores that have the more healthy foods. People need to stay away from foods and treats that are loaded with corn, any by-products as well as ethoxyquin and BHA/BHT. Do your homework, read labels, know what the ingredients are before feeding them to your animals. Nowadays there is plenty of info on the internet that you can research and find out what really those ingredients are.

mustangsaguaro, Feb 24, 2012
  20. Yolanda

Here's something which many cats find irresistible:

[​IMG]

In Malay, it's called keropok. It's made from ground fish mixed with sago flour, then sun-dried before being fried. Crispy, tasty and non-fattening!

Victor Leigh, Feb 24, 2012
    Micheleteresa likes this.
Ask a Question