Cat Treats

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by CinnamonKiss, Jan 4, 2013.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Do you feed you cat treats? Does your cat hate them? Favorite flavors?

We feed our cats treats sometimes. We've had cats in the past that hated treats, but Dusty goes nuts over them. Sassy really loves them too, if she notices you're giving out treats. Last week we received a sample pack of Purina dry food and Dusty made a fool of himself trying to get onto the recliner with me because he thought they were cat treats when I shook them. Sassy thought they were cat treats too, she just acted more sane about eating them. Their favorite flavors are fishy ones, like salmon and tuna.

CinnamonKiss, Jan 4, 2013
  2. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

My cats love treats! Sibyl will only eat seafood flavored ones, though, specifically tuna if she has the choice. These are the only flavor Alice has ever had but she loves 'em too.

That's a cute story about the cat food! I'm sure Sibyl would do the same, as she comes running whenever I shake the treat container. If it sounded the same, she'd be all over it!

blurinoctober, Jan 6, 2013
    CinnamonKiss likes this.
  3. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Our older cat used to hate almost all treats. Now she'll actually eat them. And the younger cat loves them. I think it usually depends on the kind, but even when I'd try a whole bunch of different ones for the older one over the years, she always refused them all until recently.

Jessi, Jan 6, 2013
    CinnamonKiss likes this.
  4. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Hehehe, they act so silly sometimes. Especially when they're excited! Dusty also thinks this bag of trail mix we have is cat treats! It's so funny that they try to recognize it by sound but it's not what they want. Terribly clever, too, but still funny.

It's fun that she's come around to them! Did she start liking them before the kitten did or after? It could be she was a little jealous of the kitten and wanted to be a part of what was going on.

CinnamonKiss, Jan 6, 2013
    blurinoctober likes this.
  5. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

The only treat my cats get is licking my bowl after I have had Pudding, Ice Cream or Cream cheese. They got CRAZY FOR IT! I have never tried conventional Cat Treats as I am very wary of upsetting my guy's tummy.

Scottyxx, Jan 23, 2013
  6. CinnamonKiss

amberra824 Active Member

That sound like it was hilarious to watch your cat freak out over it xD Sadly enough, my cat can't stomach any types of treats. We've tried several different brands and they always give her stomach problems. She can't eat wet cat food either - one brand even made her foam at the mouth, and we rushed her to the vet thinking it was an emergency.

amberra824, Jan 23, 2013
  7. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

The food made her foam at the mouth?! What caused that?! I've never had that experience, it would scare me too. My cats only ever got really bad diarrhea when given wet food, that didn't scare me, as disgusting as it was, hah.

blurinoctober, Jan 24, 2013
  8. CinnamonKiss

amberra824 Active Member

I can't remember what caused it - my mother was the one the vet spoke to, and I wasn't really concerned with the details. As soon as I found out that our cat was going to be okay, that's all I needed to know. Maybe it could have been some sort of allergy or something? Although I have absolutely no idea what type of allergy would cause foaming at the mouth. Yeah, dealing with cat diarrhea is horrible! That was the result of pretty much all the other types of treats and wet foods we tried with out cat, so we finally just stuck to the hard food we've been feeding her now.

amberra824, Jan 24, 2013
  9. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Sometimes Bandit drools too, but not really a foam at the mouth situation. He gets a bit excited some times! Last night I was eating a bowl of ice cream, and he watched me take every bite, trying to grab the spoon and direct it to his face, for about 10 minutes. Then when I was done, I gave him the bowl, he freaked out! He couldn't believe he got the bowl, and was so confused, and wary. It was so funny, turns out when he gets what he has been longing for all this time, he just doesn't know what to do with himself!

Scottyxx, Jan 24, 2013
  10. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Foaming at the mouth happens for a lot of reasons. I know some cats who do it after flea spray treatments because of the alcohol in it. If they're nauseous or struggling with hairballs, it can cause them to start looking like they're foaming at the mouth, too (it's because they're producing more saliva). It might have been an allergic reaction to the food, but it could've just been gross food that made her feel icky, too.

Jessi, Jan 24, 2013
  11. CinnamonKiss

amberra824 Active Member

I guess I just didn't realize that foaming at the mouth could happen for any reason other than something horribly bad. And it probably wasn't even foaming, but over salivating now that you mention it. At the time, though, I didn't really pause to think about it or examine it closely. My cat looked like she was foaming at the mouth - she was going to the vet immediately! I'm always paranoid that something might happen to her, because we lost her mother and she's the last remaining kitten. If she seems sick or if something is obviously wrong with her, I don't mind paying to take her to the vet, even if it's just to check things out and get the "A-Ok"

amberra824, Jan 25, 2013
  12. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Well generally it's an indication that something is wrong, but it may not be all that serious. It's just the body's way of trying to correct whatever the problem is.

So it's kind of like a fever for humans. Sometimes, it can be really horrible, but in general, it's just a normal reaction that is intended to help the body out.

Jessi, Jan 25, 2013
  13. CinnamonKiss

amberra824 Active Member

Oh...alright, that totally makes sense. Thanks for explaining that to me :)

amberra824, Jan 28, 2013
  14. CinnamonKiss

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cats really like Whiska Lickins and Party Mix. They do not like Pounce soft treats. They will just look at them. I have no idea why, but they do not like the flavors or something. All three of them look at them suspiciously. Maybe I just have a gang of picky eaters.

steph84, Feb 8, 2013
  15. CinnamonKiss

Trellum Well-Known Member

Over here cat treats aren't that popular. I haven't really see them, only in the big stores... but those stores are really far away from home, so I can't go there often enough. Which basically means my Bob doesn't get to eat those often :( He likes them tho, I think it's even better they're a rarity, since he might appreciate them even more whenever he finally gets to eat one :)

Trellum, Jan 3, 2014
  16. CinnamonKiss

Smadge Member

I feed my cats Blue Wilderness grain-free treats and Cloud Star Buddy biscuits, also grain-free. These are the only ones I can feed, because there are so many ingredients I have to avoid with them. Back before I knew any better, I used to feed Whiskas Temptations, which they loved, but one of them would immediately puke afterwards. Apparently it was the corn, corn gluten, and other junk making her sick--the same crap that was in the food I used to give my cats.

Smadge, Jan 26, 2014
  17. CinnamonKiss

Smadge Member

Smadge, Jan 26, 2014
  18. CinnamonKiss

Smadge Member

They would eat the whole bag of the Blue treats if I let them. They go insane. Only one of them likes the Cloud Star buddy biscuits though.

Smadge, Jan 26, 2014
Ask a Question