Cat presents..

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Evilsprinkles, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Evilsprinkles

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

I've been presented with disemboweled birds, half eaten mice, part of a rabbit, a live magpie, and a hissing hedgehog. Zod has never brought me anything like that, because he's a house cat. The most I've ever been presented with, are partially eaten moths, spiders with several less legs, and the odd squashed fly.

He would be an outdoor cat, except we live in a flat, and so him getting in and out isn't easy without a lot of bereft yowling going on. If he were an outdoor cat, I'm quite sure I'd end up finding half eaten entrails in my shoes, or worse, dead things hidden in my bed.

What horrors have your cats brought to you, half eaten, or otherwise?

Evilsprinkles, Aug 20, 2012
  2. Evilsprinkles

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

This sounds horrible! My cats are indoor cats so the most they ever bring me is a ball or a sock. At least they love you and think of you, hahaha!

Scottyxx, Sep 11, 2012
  3. Evilsprinkles

I'd love for him to be an outside cat, but it's just not feasible in a block of flats really. As soon as we move to a place with a garden, he'll be taken in the garden on a cat harness and lead. If I can slowly introduce him to the garden and keep him running about in there, then I'll be happier. I prefer cats to have the freedoms they should have, but understand that it's not always possible for them to be outside cats.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 11, 2012
  4. Evilsprinkles

msmonkeyfeet Well-Known Member

My cats are also indoor cats so the most they've ever presented me with is a piece of string. My parents however use to have an indoor/outdoor cat that would leave a constant flow of headless mice, baby bunnies, and an occasional bird. I suppose she felt we should feel flattered by her gifts but really they were quite awful.

msmonkeyfeet, Sep 11, 2012
  5. Evilsprinkles

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat once brought a grass hopper into my house. I didn't really look when I let him in the front door, but then when I saw him chasing something under the table I freaked out. This thing was huge! He kept pouncing on it and then carrying it in his mouth to different parts of the house. Once I got a hold of it, I threw it back out!

steph84, Sep 11, 2012
  6. Evilsprinkles

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I too was shocked by the size of grass hoppers!! I had never seen one before until this summer. I took my cats outside on the leash, and one of the grass hoppers hopped right into my cats face. She nearly had a heart attack it was almost bigger than her! My cats really don't have a predatory bone in their body, if they were outside cats I would never see them again.

Scottyxx, Sep 12, 2012
  7. Evilsprinkles

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

It's a disaster waiting to happen in our backyard because we feed squirrels too, and both of our cats were originally strays. We have to keep a close eye on them any time we take them outside, because that's the first thing they make a b-line for. We've had some close calls.

OhioTom76, Sep 16, 2012
  8. Evilsprinkles

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Dolores is an indoor cat, so she just brings me pieces of paper or yarn, and once a big moth. Considering the partially masticated wild animals some of you guys have received, I guess I should count myself lucky.

ACSAPA, Sep 16, 2012
  9. Evilsprinkles

During summer, Zod spends a LOT of time jumping up and down at windows. We get some really HUGE moths throwing themselves through our window protection, and as soon as they get in, that's it. He goes absolutely batsh*t crazy. The biggest thing I've ever seen him get, was this walloping big beetle that flew in through the kitchen. I was really alarmed, because I'd never seen anything like it, it was massive, and I had no idea if it would bite, sting, or otherwise cause him any harm. I don't usually squick out easily, but this thing went crunch on a horrible scale. It turned out to be a very large stag beetle, larger than I've ever seen before. The only reason why I figured that out, was because my partner's best friend was here at the time, and he really knows his bugs.

I do worry that Zod will end up ill because he's been stung by a wasp or the like but still. That beetle was epic. I'm just glad he didn't dump it on my lap, as he's done before with half eaten moths. :confused:

Evilsprinkles, Sep 18, 2012
  10. Evilsprinkles

One of the cats I owned years ago, was a rather large male British Blue. He was very muscular, heavy and large, and was very much an outdoor cat. He was also as hard as nails. He would sit very regally on the wall outside the house, and watch as crows, magpies and starlings taunted him from the trees. One one occasion, a magpie was sitting on the fence not far from the wall, and was making that horrible clattering RATTATTAAAATTTAAAATTATATATATAA noise they make. It kept leaning forward as if it was daring him to go for him, and stupidly, the bird didn't move off quickly enough.

I've never seen a cat move so fast. He slinked down from the wall, did some ninja like jump through the air, and grabbed the stupid magpie by the scruff of its neck. He then marched it into the house, and dumped it on the sitting room floor. It was then a case of 'chase the magpie out of the room without breaking mum's best china'. He looked very proud of himself for that one.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 18, 2012
Ask a Question