Cat obsessively paces, snifs, gets stuck in corners

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Mainecoon13, Apr 3, 2020.

1. Mainecoon13

Mainecoon13 New Member

My cat has been on insulin for a few years and started to have strange episodes. He would obsessively pace the perimeter of the room sniffing everything as he went. If he came to an obstacle he would go over it or under it if at all possible. He got stuck behind open doors without knowing he could just back up. He got stuck behind the washing machine again without just backing up. It lasts for an hour or so and then he seems OK. After about 3 of these occurrences I took him to our vet. They did blood work and found his thyroid numbers low and put him on meds for that. They had not heard of his symptoms before. He didn't have another episode until a couple of nights ago. Searching the internet I found others that had this problem but no answers to their questions. So anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks for reading

IMG_4750.JPG

Mainecoon13, Apr 3, 2020
  2. Mainecoon13

Mainecoon13 New Member

I thought I would update my post in case anyone else had this problem. After being on his thyroid medication for a couple of months Gordie only has had the one episode. He takes 2.5 mg of Methimazole with his breakfast and 2.5 mg with dinner. So far so good.

Mainecoon13, Jun 9, 2020
    emmy russmon, bibibis and Ian like this.
  3. Mainecoon13

JozePhoby New Member

That's great!

JozePhoby, Jan 13, 2023
  4. Mainecoon13

oliviagreen Member

A cat exhibiting obsessive pacing, sniffing, and getting stuck in corners can be due to several reasons. Here are some possibilities:

Stress and Anxiety:

Environmental Changes: Loud noises, new pets, furniture rearrangement, or even changes in your routine can stress a cat.
    Underlying Medical Conditions: This behavior can sometimes be a sign of pain or discomfort from things like dental issues, urinary tract infections, or hyperthyroidism.
    Vision Problems:

Age-related vision loss: As cats age, their eyesight can deteriorate, making them disoriented and causing them to sniff around more.
    Sudden vision loss: This can be due to injuries, infections, or other health problems and can lead to confusion and anxiety.
    Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome (CDS):

Similar to Alzheimer's in humans: This can affect older cats, causing disorientation, pacing, and repetitive behaviors like getting stuck in corners.
    Here's what you can do:

Schedule a vet visit: This is crucial to rule out any underlying medical conditions that might be causing the behavior.
    Minimize stress: Identify any potential stressors in your cat's environment and try to minimize them. Provide plenty of hiding spots, vertical spaces like shelves to climb, and familiar items with your scent.
    Create a routine: Cats thrive on routine. Maintain consistent feeding times, playtime schedules, and litter box cleaning.
    Feliway diffusers: These can release calming pheromones that can help ease anxiety in cats.
    By getting to the root cause and providing a calming environment, you can help your cat feel more comfortable and reduce these unwanted behaviors.

oliviagreen, May 13, 2024 at 11:22 AM
Ask a Question