Cat language

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Jessi, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

So true!

The cats are probably appalled with your random words. Dogs are just thrilled that you're saying anything at all, haha.

Jessi, Feb 7, 2013
    blurinoctober likes this.
  2. Jessi

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Snooty little kitties! I wouldn't be surprised if this were true. But then there are times when I'll meow at Sibyl and she'll keep meowing back. I like to think those are the times she's trying to figure out what I'm even trying to say, then she eventually looses patience.

blurinoctober, Feb 12, 2013
  3. Jessi

shdws Well-Known Member

Haha I've always wondered what my cat thinks when I'm sitting there trying to communicate with him. He probably thinks I'm pretty dumb.

shdws, Feb 12, 2013
  4. Jessi

ChristianMcNamara New Member

I don't wanna sound dumb here, but I think they do have some recurrent noise for things. I have 4 female cats, and one of them who is the more 'social' one, repeats noises for certain things. Like, when she wants to call mine or my wife's attention she makes a noise like: 'Nya-nyaaa', when she wants food, she sits near the kitchen and makes a noise like: 'Nyeeee', etc. You can tell the noises are different from each other, and she uses them specifically for each situation.

ChristianMcNamara, Apr 13, 2013
    erik likes this.
  5. Jessi

Trace Member

I read somewhere that cats are actually vocal with us because we're vocal with them, and that they tend to be much less vocal normally. That does seem to be the case with mine. It doesn't seem to matter to them whether I'm speaking English or broken Cat, although sometimes I do get the offended, "What did you just say to me?!" look when making cat noises at them. Most of the time, they'll "talk" back, sometimes carrying on lengthy conversations. Of course, I rarely know what we're actually talking about. They also know their names, and one of the three will come when called by it, but not for the usual "kitty kitty!" call. She also knows the word "brush." She'll come running for that one. And I do agree that they have specific sounds for certain things, along with particular behaviors that express what they want, need, or feel.

Trace, Apr 14, 2013
  6. Jessi

Trellum Well-Known Member

Hahahahahaahahaha! A very good one, made me laugh! That is how I imagine my cat and other cats: so arrogant and mean, lol. Just like some a guy I know who is into languages, he is like that :p But yes, dogs in general are warmer :) That is why I have both a dog and a cat: the best of two worlds!

Trellum, May 6, 2015
  7. Jessi

erik Well-Known Member

I try to communicate with my cat by making a certain cat meow every time I have a treat for them and a shussshh sound when they so something bad ..

erik, May 12, 2015
  8. Jessi

Grimp Member

I find with most cats I've had you find one sound that they respond to all the time and then they respond literally to nothing else. Apparently though, cats adjust the sounds they make with their meows depending on what they want from you and how they want you to respond, if they want food they might make a really needy and warm meow, whereas if they want to get in the house they make a more pleading sobbing meow.

Grimp, May 13, 2015
  9. Jessi

erik Well-Known Member

I notice this too! They make distinct meows when asking for food, when the mother is looking for her kittens, and the funniest to me is when kittens make growling "weowweowweowweow" noises when you try to take the food they're munching on:)

erik, May 14, 2015
  10. Jessi

Grimp Member

Hahaha, yeah thats always hilarious, have you ever seen those videos online where cats sound like they are saying "hello" random wierd noises? Now THAT is hilarious you should check it out man on youtube!

Grimp, May 14, 2015
  11. Jessi

superbobby Member

Do cats from different countries understand each other? I have always wondered this ever since I was a kid.

superbobby, May 31, 2015
  12. Jessi

ellie Active Member

This is adorable! I've actually wondered all about this kind of thing for forever. When cats dream, it must just be a whole dream with everything in Meow, right? And yeah, the same thing the poster above me asked, do cats from other countries understand each other? Are there meow accents? It's all too much to contemplate :rolleyes:

ellie, May 31, 2015
  13. Jessi

superbobby Member

Do British cats have a sexy meow accent too? It is very fun to think about.

superbobby, Jun 2, 2015
  14. Jessi

LilAnn Well-Known Member

That had me laughing so hard!! And it's gotta be so true!

LilAnn, Jun 5, 2015
Ask a Question