cat keeps getting poo on his paws

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jennymoon, Mar 16, 2010.

1. jennymoon

jennymoon Member

is there any reason my kitten keeps getting cat poo on his paw? his this something he will grow out of?

he seems to clean him self but by that time the kitchen has poo claw marks all over the floor tiles yuk :eek:

jennymoon, Mar 16, 2010
  2. jennymoon

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I have 3 cats, and they all done this from time to time. I think they were sick at times They also will not go in a litter box that isn't totally cleaned out. Some cats are very territorial. Make sure you have one litter box per cat. This one act might solve your problem. He may also be too little to know what to do like an olde cat might.Try keeping your kitten in the bathroom for one day. I did this one thing with every kitten I had and they went in their litter boxes, unless they were sick or something out of the ordinary.

Jenny Heart, Apr 12, 2012
  3. jennymoon

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Don't give your kitten milk. This always gave my kittens diarrhea. Just thought I'd mention that. Most cat owners think cats must have milk daily, but this is not true. Just feed him a high quality kitten food, and things should go well. I use Buffalo cat food, and I think they have kitten food as well. They tell cat owners to mix the kitten food half and half at first. Half Buffalo kitten, and half the regular food you've been using. This may also help with your problem.

Jenny Heart, Apr 12, 2012
  4. jennymoon

magickat Well-Known Member

Kitten or cat milk is fine for kittens, in moderation. Just do not give them cows milk as this can cause problems.

magickat, Apr 13, 2012
  5. jennymoon

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Maybe it's the cat litter. If it isn't scoopable she maybe stepping in it.

LilAnn, Jun 7, 2015
  6. jennymoon

Trellum Well-Known Member

You need to clean the litter box more often, and probably get a cat litter of a better quality. Are you sure your cat is not sick right now?

Trellum, Jun 10, 2015
  7. jennymoon

LilAnn Well-Known Member

@Trellum is right. The really cheap litter is no more useful, as far as being clean, than an empty box. I use arm and hammer. It's affordable and it works very well. Especially with clumping

LilAnn, Jun 10, 2015
  8. jennymoon

Trellum Well-Known Member

I use that one as well, LilAnn :D It works incredibly well! I used to use another one that was very good at keeping odours at bay, as well as being good with climping, but it got sooooo expensive! By the way, it sounds like this cat in question might have the runs or something similar... I'd get it checked if it was me.

Trellum, Jun 11, 2015
  9. jennymoon

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Really, what do you have to lose? If that's the only thing you've noticed then a solution shouldn't take long to find.

LilAnn, Jun 12, 2015
  10. jennymoon

MER Well-Known Member

I didn't get the impression that the cat was getting poo on his paws because of the litter being used. Rosco's got poo on his paws because he had diarrhea and brushed it as he was covering it up. What type of cat litter do you use? If it doesn't clump it will be harder to keep from getting messy. Good luck!

MER, Jan 21, 2016
  11. jennymoon

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Ya I would suggest you change your litter because I have had cheap litter before and they tracked it all over the place plus it doesn't have good odor control. I also use Arm and Hammer.

Susan Brown, Jan 23, 2016
  12. jennymoon

CrazyCatLady74 Member

Two out of three of my cats have had that happened due to having long fur. I clean them up with a baby wipe and when they are relaxed I carefully trim their fur with a scissors. That seems to help out a lot.

CrazyCatLady74, Jul 27, 2016
  13. jennymoon

Novelangel Active Member

A cat's hind paws are turned outward, as you've probably noticed. I think this is a built-in design to help them keep from getting poo on their paws, but sometimes it's unavoidable. If the box isn't clean enough, for example. In a case like that, another cat's poo might get on his paws while he's scratching around. If he's the only cat in the house, then the problem could be that the bowel movements are too loose. This sounds like it could be the problem, because a normal bowel movement for a cat is small, segmented chunks that are quite dry and get even more so the longer they sit in the litter. A change of diet could be responsible and another change might fix the problem.

Another issue that comes to mind is the fact that you mentioned he is a kitten. If he's very tiny, he might still be learning how to use the box. Kittens are fairly helpless when born, requiring their mama to help them do everything, including poo and pee. Whenever my mom gets a new kitten, the first thing she does is make sure he knows how to use the litter box, by putting him into it and helping him dig with his front paws. If necessary, she even helps him learn a new stance to keep his rear paws clean. Kittens learn by example, so it's possible that your kitten simply hasn't yet learned to stand with his rear paws wide apart. He will eventually learn this, because he probably won't like the constant feeling of poo between his toes and whatever.

Novelangel, Aug 2, 2016
Ask a Question