Cat is sneezing blood

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Kay Dougall, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Kay Dougall

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

I am watching a friend's cat while he is in the hospital. Percy, a beautiful Siamese mix, has had a bloody discharge from his nose when he sneezes. My friend's vet put him on Prednisolone (Percy's been on it for about a year now) and says he will have to stay on it for the rest of his life. They did a biopsy and there is no cancerous growth. Does anybody have any ideas what this could be??? We all love Percy so much--he's such a great cat. The vet said a humidifier would help.

Kay Dougall, Dec 1, 2014
  2. Kay Dougall

Anne Well-Known Member

I was going to suggest you see the vet but it appears that you have already done that. The little I looked up on this seems to be suggesting hat the reasons could be numerous but not necessarily frightening. Have a look at the link below and see what you think. At the end of the day the vet should be the real authority and you can perhaps do some more online searches.

http://www.vetinfo.com/why-cat-sneezing-blood.html#b

Anne, Dec 2, 2014
  3. Kay Dougall

Thanks for the reply. I'm still researching on the Internet. He's not my cat, but if my friend gets to the point he needs to have someone take Percy, I'll take him. I like to hear what cat owners in other parts of the world do when they have issues like this. I think US vets think they know everything, but sometimes they are behind the times when it comes to new treatment options.

Kay Dougall, Dec 2, 2014
  4. Kay Dougall

Anne Well-Known Member

People always seem to think the US leads the way in almost every thing. Here in the Caribbean I know we have a long way to go but sometimes I am pleasantly surprise at some of the strides we are making.

Generally as with medical doctors there are varying opinions and recommendations for the same problems. It seems no less true of vets. I think we just have to sift through the barrage of information and apply what we feel might be the best course. I hope the little one gets some relief soon. You sound like you would be a great "parent".

Anne, Dec 2, 2014
  5. Kay Dougall

Anne Well-Known Member

I would love to know that the little one Percy is doing better. Was he checked out? I do hope he has been and the cause of the bleeding diagnosed and treated. I get a little concern when the "boys and girls" are not doing well.

Anne, Dec 7, 2014
  6. Kay Dougall

Hi Anne,
    Percy did not have any sneezy bleeds while I took care of him. He had one that I cleaned up, and then, no more. The complication with him, is that his owner had pneumonia, and the doctor thought that the humidifier was causing the pneumo. problem. The humidifier was for Percy, but my friend had a problem with it. So, I did some research and someone suggested that when you take a hot shower, you put your cat in the bathroom with you (maybe feed him so he doesn't stress out) and he gets the benefit of the steam without creating a bacteria nightmare in the rest of the house. I'll be visiting tomorrow, so I'll give my friend the suggestion, then I hope everything goes well.
    Percy has been checked out by a vet, who did a nasal biopsy and there is not cancer/tumor involved. So, maybe he just has really sensitive nose and it dries out and then it bleeds. Idaho is very dry but it's winter now, so I'm hoping the humidity will increase.
    I checked Percy over (as best I could while I took care of him) and he seems really pretty healthy, a bit overweight (most well-loved cats are!) Thanks for your concern. I just love cats and wish that they could all have the best lives ever. They all deserve it. I'll definitely keep on top of this. My friend is a very caring, dedicated cat-person, and will do whatever it takes to give Percy the best. Thanks again.k

Kay Dougall, Dec 8, 2014
  7. Kay Dougall

Anne Well-Known Member

Thanks for responding. I don't have my Twinkle anymore so I tend to be concerned about all the cats I "meet" these days. It helps me to cope with my lost I suppose. I never thought I would be a cat lover but sometimes life throws you some beautiful surprises and Twinkle was one of mine.

He left me with my three dogs so right now they will suffice while I get to meet some cats here. I am glad Percy is in good health and has great relatives like you and your friend.

Anne, Dec 10, 2014
Ask a Question