Cat going for walkies

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Grimp, May 13, 2015.

1. Grimp

Grimp Member

I'm pretty sure this thread probably came up before but how many of you cat freaks take your cats for a walk just like a dog? Come on, admit it, theres no need to be ashamed :p. Actually I tried to take my cat for a walk at night time once... But I didnt take him on a lead, he literally just followed me all the way into town, quite a long distance, then another cat spooked him and he ran away! lol Cats are very territorial so do you think its potentially dangerous to take them for walks?

Grimp, May 13, 2015
  2. Grimp

icekat Active Member

Ours have always just sort of meandered around behind us, when we are walking through the neighborhood. Years ago, I lived up north, and I had a neighbor who took her cats out walking on a leash. It was a truly odd sight, because in the south, we always let our cats run free, or at least, go in and out.:D

icekat, May 14, 2015
  3. Grimp

Grimp Member

Yeah in the village where I live we let our cats roam around free, and thats exactly what happened when i took my cat for a walk, however, that one time he actually decided to meader behind me for a comparatively long distance, like literally 2 miles or so away from his usual territory! He literally wondered into the centre of the village :O

Grimp, May 14, 2015
  4. Grimp

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Oh, at first, I thought you were talking about taking your cat for a walk on a leash for a long distance. I was about to be totally in awe. Still, your story is cool. We have had outside cats in the past, but they never followed me, my husband, or kids around. They may have hung around the same vicinity, but usually off on their own prowl.

I often thought about following our Herman around, when she use to be allowed outside. I am pretty sure that she had a daily routine. Then I came to my senses. I could imagine her taking me down by the rivers and swamps and who knows where. I am sure, I would have come back a big muddy mess.

Herman&Eddie, May 16, 2015
  5. Grimp

Anne Well-Known Member

Herman & Eddie you would have been in awe at the cat on the leash? I tried it once and I have heard and read of it happening. Of course my Twinkle resisted and I had to give up on the idea. I am sorry I did not persist or at least restrict him to the house. Grimp I am glad things worked out well with your cat and that it remained safe. I think it can be very dangerous but it sounds like it would be a delight if safety can be guaranteed.

Anne, May 16, 2015
  6. Grimp

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Oh, yes! Sure, I have read and heard about cats walking on a leash. Another member here even has a sister whose cat walks on a leash. When my kids tried it (years ago), it was a flop literally. Their two little kitties (Static and Camo) just flopped to the sidewalk and decided to sunbathe. They would not budge.

I, too, am glad Gimp's cat gets on well outside. For me, another reason, besides safety, that I do not like to let our cats outside has to do with neighbors in the city. My cats would get on the roofs of the houses and on top of their cars. I know, as much as I adore cats, it is a nuisance to have them crawl over my car with their footprints, and we had one that scratched up our paint. So, it is a bit of a liability, too. Similar to dogs.

Herman&Eddie, May 17, 2015
  7. Grimp

ellie Active Member

I can't imagine Tink's reaction if I tried to put a leash on her and take her for a walk. I think she would just plop down, deliberately go "dead weight" and glare at me. She's not a lazy cat, but she doesn't like being told what to do lol. She looks at our dogs with such pity and contempt. She does like going outside, but only on her terms. I've never seen someone walking a cat and I know I would get a big kick out of it if I did :)

ellie, May 28, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  8. Grimp

Anne Well-Known Member

Your Tink sounds like my Twinkle. Twink would just not allow it. He was not happy with me at all. Now I regret not wearing the pants in the house and putting my feet down. A leash would have saved his life. Twinkle was that cat that didn't like to be told what to do. Just thinking of his indifference still makes me smile from time to time.

Anne, May 29, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  9. Grimp

Trellum Well-Known Member

Definitely! I once tried doing that growing up, I lived in a very small neighborhood full of really nasty kids, lol. So they were so annoying about it, never did it again. Plus taking a cat for a walk can be dangerous, specially if not on a leash....

Trellum, May 30, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  10. Grimp

Anne Well-Known Member

I read a post and thought I might have posted a thread about us cat owners wanting to treat our cats like dogs putting them on leashes etc. It suggested we are stressing the poor cats out as they really are not programmed these submissive little animals like our dogs. I think the entire household got a shock when we realized Twinkle had such and independent spirit.

Anne, May 31, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  11. Grimp

superbobby Member

I haven't tried taking Tommy out for a walk. He just likes the house too much to leave it.

superbobby, Jun 2, 2015
Ask a Question