Cat gets sick

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by KimmyMarkks, Nov 17, 2015.

1. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkks Active Member

My cat throws up all the time. Does anyone know why this this happens? I tried to feel her less but she will still get sick. I've heard that a lot of cats throw up I just don't know why. Does anyone cat also do this?

KimmyMarkks, Nov 17, 2015
  2. KimmyMarkks

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

She may have hairballs and she is trying to throw them up and she throws up her food at the same.
    Have you changed her food? Maybe her food doesn't agree with her,

Susan Brown, Nov 17, 2015
  3. KimmyMarkks

She's had the same food forever and my other cat doesn't get sick off of it. I guess it can be hair balls. Do you have any recommendations for fixing this? I guess I can always ask the vet.

I know they have hairball food, but I really don't want to change her food because I've changed it in the past and my cats REFUSED to eat it. They can be stubborn with their food.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 18, 2015
  4. KimmyMarkks

mimio Active Member

Is the weather changing make it uncomfortable? Maybe

mimio, Nov 24, 2015
  5. KimmyMarkks

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

upload_2015-11-25_11-18-36.png
    This is the stuff that I use and my cats love it. It works great too!

Susan Brown, Nov 25, 2015
  6. KimmyMarkks

Thank you for this! I've never seen this before. I am going to do more research and I think this is what my cat will be getting for Christmas!
    I will also pass this along to my sister whose cat has the same problem.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 25, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  7. KimmyMarkks

Trellum Well-Known Member

Thanks, I had no idea such a thing existed :O I will definitely order it soon, my Bob needs help in this department as well :(

Trellum, Mar 31, 2016
  8. KimmyMarkks

morgoodie Member

I used that remedy for my cats also. My one cat was a long haired cat and he would get hairballs all the time. That was the worst thing about having cats was them throwing up a hairball. Especially, if you did not know they did it and you step in it. This stuff did work great and they loved to eat it. It was like giving them a new treat.

morgoodie, Mar 31, 2016
  9. KimmyMarkks

GabbyTheTabby Member

You need to get your cat to the vet.

Throwing up more than once or twice a month is not normal.

If it were hairballs you would absolutely see them in the vomit.

Part of the problem with cats throwing up, even hairballs, is that they empty their stomachs completely when they do vomit.

Now if you take your cat to the vet and nothing is wrong, then start looking to other solutions.

Is your cat eating too much? Most domestic cats should weigh between 9 and 12 pounds, and don't need more than ~600 kcals a day. This equates to about 3/4 of a cup of most dry foods, per day. If your cat is being over fed, it will often eat beyond full, and then regurgitate the excess food (along with most of what's in its stomach).

Does your cat eat too fast? Try raising their food bowl up off the ground so that their esophageal tract isn't flat or at a downward angle.

The solution that worked for us and slowed Gabby down was the ol' "rock in the bowl" trick - we wrote about it here.

Essentially if you put a (clean) marble or soap stone rock (or ping pong ball, or anything really) it forces your cat to slow down when they eat because they ahve to navigate around this obstacle. Give that a go.

My last idea is a digestive enzyme. A significant number of cats lack appropriate digestive enzymes (genetics). You can find plenty of enzyme supplements on Amazon. They're odorless and tasteless, and you just put a small amount on the cat's food. It aids in digestion, which in turn keeps your cat from vomiting because the body can actually use the food it consumes.

GabbyTheTabby, May 3, 2016
Ask a Question