Cat Food - Dry, wet or both?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by magickat, Nov 21, 2011.

1. magickat

magickat Well-Known Member

Do you feed your cat exclusively on dry food or wet food or give a mixture a both? I tend to feed wet in the morning and evening and leave dry out during the day when I am at work.

magickat, Nov 21, 2011
  2. magickat

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

I feed them dry food (Blue Buffalo Wilderness Chicken) on a schedule. Between my work schedule and my dog, wet food is too much work. With wet, I have to basically babysit the food until the cats are done with it so that Foxy doesn't get into it, and when I just came home from work at 11:30 p.m and have to get up at 6:00 a.m. to get my son off to school, that's not going to happen.

I hope to add some wet to their diet if I ever get a first shift job again.

Wallie0921, Nov 22, 2011
    magickat likes this.
  3. magickat

doublelady Active Member

I let our cats have dry food all day long, but they are all still pretty much kittens. The youngest is still only 8 months old. When she reaches one year old, I'll start feeding them measured amounts twice a day instead.

I want to find a good wet food to give them on occasion, but I don't really know how to pick one.

doublelady, Nov 22, 2011
  4. magickat

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

My vet highly recommends Fancy Feast, of all things. It's what he feeds to his own cats.

Wallie0921, Nov 22, 2011
  5. magickat

Yolanda Well-Known Member

My cats have access to dry food all day and I feed them wet food in the afternoon when I come home. I didn't feed them wet food for a while because it can cause dental decay. On the other hand, cats get a lot of their fluids from wet food. They drink little water and get most of their fluids from wet food, or so I've been told. One of our cats once had bloody poop because it was to hard and she didn't drink enough. With the purchase of a water fountain and feeding wet food again it was over. Plus, they really like the wet food as an extra.

Yolanda, Nov 22, 2011
  6. magickat

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

My kittys have 24 hour access to dry food and wet food once a day, except Trinity, she also has 24 hour access to dry food but gets Fancy Feast 4 times a day and nutrical once a day.

Micheleteresa, Nov 22, 2011
  7. magickat

doublelady Active Member

I've heard good things about Fancy Feast but always assumed that it couldn't be good because it's so inexpensive compared to other cat foods.

After today I think our cats need to get some food limits. They ate two big self-feeding containers of food in 24 hours and they're getting visibly pudgy. They love the dry food so much when I get the good brand, but they rarely eat if I have to buy something cheap at Walmart because the pet store isn't open.

doublelady, Nov 23, 2011
  8. magickat

christy sharpton Active Member

I mainly give my cats dry food, the inside formula food. I give them wet food occasionally, but not everyday.

christy sharpton, Nov 23, 2011
  9. magickat

magickat Well-Known Member

I have found leaving bowls of water in differnet locations around the house encourages them to drink more. I still leave a bowl of water with their food, but they hardly touch it and seem to much prefer the bowl I put in the corner of my bedroom!

magickat, Nov 23, 2011
    Yolanda likes this.
  10. magickat

Yolanda Well-Known Member

It's a good thing you mention that magickat, as I heard about that as well. My cats didn't seem to care for it much after a while, when it wasn't new to them anymore. They seemed to get bored with new bowls and new locations pretty fast. The fountain they still like, but they can be a bit spoiled sometimes :rolleyes:

Yolanda, Nov 23, 2011
  11. magickat

catnhorsegirl Member

My cats have access to dry food (Science Diet) all day. I feed them wet food (Fancy Feast) twice a day....once in the morning when I get up and later on in the day around 5:30 p.m. or so. If I'm eating something that they like too, such as chicken or turkey, I will give them an extra "meal". The three of them have very different eating habits...one is a voracious and will her food and then look for more, one eats well but doesn't gobble her food down or wake me up to eat, and the other eats a little bit at a time a number of times throughout the day.

catnhorsegirl, Nov 26, 2011
  12. magickat

MaxKitteh Well-Known Member

Raw food>all others. Vets aren't always the best sources of information for cat nutrition since sometimes vets are trained by the food-manufacturers themselves (Science Diet is one of them). Also, vets may be trained in treating cats but may not always be up on the nutritional side.

There are too many points to list here, but raw food is ideal, followed by canned (wet) and then kibble being the worst by quite a bit.

More info here :http://www.catinfo.org/ (not my site).

MaxKitteh, Nov 28, 2011
  13. magickat

DanielCasey25 Member

Age, body condition, health history are helpful to decide the type of food for cat. My cats generally prefer dry food but I also give them wet food. And, mixing wet and dry food together is a good way of changing a cat's diet. Always giving dry foods are not a great thing to feed a cat. So, mixing it with wet food also improve the quality of the food and it's also easy to digest.

DanielCasey25, Dec 19, 2011
  14. magickat

Alli Well-Known Member

My boy cat is on prescription wet food for crystals in the urine. The girl also gets wet food at the same times because if we leave out dry food the boy will eat it, too and he has to have the prescription food.

Alli, Dec 19, 2011
  15. magickat

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Green Seven eats what I eat so it's moist food most of the time. Except when I have bread. He eats it but doesn't really like the way it sticks to his teeth.

Victor Leigh, Dec 21, 2011
  16. magickat

amy005 Well-Known Member

My cat only eats dry cat food. I find wet cat food to be too expensive and there seems to be the same nutrients in both dry and wet dog foods. He seems to be getting enough food as well.. he has gotten quite large.

amy005, Dec 21, 2011
  17. magickat

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Good to know that your cat has got strong teeth. Some cats I have had find the dry food difficult to crunch. So I have to soak the dry food in some milk first.

Victor Leigh, Dec 22, 2011
  18. magickat

SallyintheValley41 Well-Known Member

My boys have a variety of dry food available all day. The oldest doesn't even like wet food, the youngest gets it occasionally. They eat treats a couple times a day also.

SallyintheValley41, Jan 30, 2012
  19. magickat

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

Bella wasn't weaned when I got her so I bottle fed her at first. When I weaned her the only thing I could get her to eat was dry Kitten Chow with some canned Friskies mixed in, so it's still what she eats. Booger and Tigger have dry Iams available all day and then they have snacks at night.

SheWolfSilver, Jan 30, 2012
  20. magickat

SassyBrat Member

Jingles, Ella and Cinder are little hogs! If we don't clamp down on them, they will eat constantly. So what we do is feed in the morning, I usually give them wet food mixed with their dry and then primarily dry at night. There is a huge water bowl that they all drink out of daily.

SassyBrat, Feb 8, 2012
Ask a Question