Cat Fact

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by cluckeyo, May 29, 2016.

1. cluckeyo

cluckeyo Active Member

I found it interesting to learn that most Calico cats are female and most orange or orange/white cats are male. When I heard this I thought over all the cats I have ever had and all the ones I have known. And in my life, this fact seems to hold true. My sources tell me that it is a rare thing to find it go the other way.

cluckeyo, May 29, 2016
  2. cluckeyo

Valerie Active Member

I, too, have heard this. Most of the time, it is indeed true. Every single calico I have seen is female. The orange and white seems to go either way, as I've had male and female cats with such coloring, as have others. My grandmother's cat Goldie Locks was female, orange and white. And humongous. But straight up orange has always been male. Apparently this gender-specific coloring has to do with where the fur-coloration genes are on the chromosome. Since male's are XY, they miss the one leg that has calico-based genes.

Funny how biology works, eh?

Valerie, May 29, 2016
  3. cluckeyo

Anne Well-Known Member

News to me and I actually had to Google both to find out what exactly they were. I am guessing my Twinkle was an Orange cat and those who know my story, know that for months I thought he was a female. I just know I have never seen any looking like him before or since his passing.

Anne, May 30, 2016
  4. cluckeyo

lisasian86 New Member

That's interesting, maybe that's why here in the UK we call them Ginger Toms- because ginger cats are almst always male I think, I never thought about it before.

lisasian86, Jun 4, 2016
  5. cluckeyo

MER Well-Known Member

I must say I never bothered looking before. Interesting all the same. Its like one of those things where most left-handed people usually have an "L" in their name somewhere. Not all, but most!

MER, Jun 10, 2016
  6. cluckeyo

Trellum Well-Known Member

That is very interesting, it must have to do with their genes :) I have so far only ''met'' female calicos, but I thought it was just a coincidence. Interesting to hear it wasn't a coincidence after all.

Trellum, Jun 16, 2016
  7. cluckeyo

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I have heard the before and most cats I have know when those coloring have always followed that rule. I think it is very interesting. I had many cats growing up and they all followed that. The calicos were always female and the orange ones were always male. Funny how that happens.

Susan Brown, Jun 23, 2016
Ask a Question