Cat diagnosed diabetic need help..

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by questseeker, Oct 20, 2014.

1. questseeker

questseeker Member

My cat recently was recently diagnosed a diabetic, after loosing weight and drinking alot of water and urinating a lot. I just purchased a glucose meter, I have been bringing the cat to the vet for blood tests which of course the car ride and being in a carrier stresses him out and the readings are in the high 400's. When I use the keto - diastix at home his normal range during the day is between 1/2 and 1/4 .Is it possible that the stress elevates his glucose reading at the vet, I have changed his diet to dry m/md and wet low carb high protein wet. The vet has him on one unit of lantis .I asked about a fructosamime and she said that it really would not show anything concrete because he is not regulated and wants me to leave him at the vets office to do a curve which I think would totally stress him out. Can I do the curve at home and when is the best time to check blood levels. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.Also what should his levels be when he is regulated..I tires getting blood from his ear twice the reading s were 407 in the late afternoon and 370 in the morning right after he ate. I tried again today but using the meter is tricky by pricking his ear I don't want to prick it too much for I am afraid it will hurt his ears or cause infection . Any help would be greatly appreciated..

questseeker, Oct 20, 2014
  2. questseeker

Trellum Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear about your cat's diagnosis! I'm guessing a n normal sugar level for a regulated cat is around 120, but no more. Your cat seems to be off the charts! If i were you I'd let them do the curve at the vet clinic, they know what they're doing.

Trellum, Oct 21, 2014
  3. questseeker

Kay Dougall Well-Known Member

Hi questseeker,
    I'm new to this site and have been reading some of the posts when I came across yours about feline diabetes. Sure hope he's improved since your post last month. Has your cat been on Prednisolone/Prednisone recently? Although it's a rare reaction, sometimes cats develop prednisone-induced diabetes. Vanguard, my 16 1/2 year old tuxie, had to go on Pred. for a malabsorption issue and developed diabetes (400+). Van was on Lantus (insulin glargine) also. It eventually took the blood sugar back to normal.

Diabetes is super serious, especially at the 300-400 levels your cat has. I think you should leave your cat and let the vet do a curve. It requires samples taken throughout the day. The stress of transporting him may be the worst, he might? settle down in his cage after he gets used to the vet's office. Hope everything works out for you and your cat!

Kay Dougall, Nov 20, 2014
Ask a Question