cat ate one of her kitten!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by kat74, Nov 25, 2011.

1. kat74

kat74 Active Member

I noticed that our cat gave birth to 3 kittens, then when we went to check in the morning, we found only 2. When I asked about it from a from a friend, I gathered that cats eat their kittens if they think that they don't have any survival chances. Just wanted to know if this is true or just a myth.

kat74, Nov 25, 2011
  2. kat74

Micheleteresa Well-Known Member

I heard that too but thought it was a myth, my kittys are all spayed and neutered, but Sunny did have a couple of litters when we lived in Puerto rico and she never ate any of them but in both litters she had one that passed away shortly after birth.

Micheleteresa, Nov 26, 2011
  3. kat74

catnhorsegirl Member

Oh, that's awful. But I do know that other animals eat their young if they don't think they are going to survive or keep up with the herd. It will be interesting to see if anyone has had similar experiences (hope not) with their cats and litters.

catnhorsegirl, Nov 26, 2011
  4. kat74

steph84 Well-Known Member

Wow, I have never heard of this. I was quite shocked to read the title of this thread. I just searched it and it is quite common. Catnhorsegirl is right, they do that if they thing that the runt doesn't have a chance. My cats have never done this (thankfully), but it does happen.

steph84, Mar 1, 2012
  5. kat74

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I have heard that but I've never experienced it. I did have a cat that had kittens once and I couldn't find one the next day and I thought that's what had happened. I searched and searched and finally I heard a little squeak and the kitten had scooted under a closet door and was behind a bunch of shoes. LOL

SheWolfSilver, Mar 1, 2012
  6. kat74

wils172 Active Member

I know that dogs and other animals do this occasionally and I'm pretty sure my neighbors cat(s) did this once or twice.

wils172, Mar 1, 2012
  7. kat74

magickat Well-Known Member

I have heard many stories of cats doing this and although it seems horrible to us it makes sense. If the mother thinks a kitten has no chance of survival then better to eat it to give herself more nutrients and enhance the chances of her healthy kittens.

magickat, Mar 2, 2012
  8. kat74

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have seen cats and even dogs eating their young. I suppose it's just a manifestation of the "survival of the fittest" instinct. Guppy fish also does the same thing.

Victor Leigh, Mar 3, 2012
  9. kat74

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I've heard about it. It sounds cruel, and I can't stand the thought of it, but it's nature. And it does happen that a cat or other animal kills and might even eat their own offspring if they don't think they'll survive. Abandoning is also something that occasionally happens when the kittens are not fit. One of my cats was ignored by the mother (my blind kitty). We put him back with her when she moved away and luckily she tolerated it and started grooming him. It was this cats first labor and I've heard that sometimes this can also happen because the mother is still in pain and 'blames' the kitten for it.

Yolanda, Mar 4, 2012
  10. kat74

The part which I haven't figured out is why tomcats kill their offspring. I have heard of it but didn't really believe it until I saw it with my own eyes. I chased off the tom but the kitten was already dead.

Victor Leigh, Mar 5, 2012
  11. kat74

magickat Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard about tomcats killing their own offspring. It makes sense if they kill the kittens of other toms but not their own, although it is common behaviour in hamsters I believe.

magickat, Mar 6, 2012
  12. kat74

Yolanda Well-Known Member

I've heard that about hamsters as well. Perhaps the tomcats do this to kittens that are already sick or perhaps only to boy kittens?

Yolanda, Mar 17, 2012
  13. kat74

I heard differently. I was told that the toms kill kittens sired by themselves. Something about eliminating future competitors for the same territory.

Victor Leigh, Mar 18, 2012
Ask a Question