Can spot a bird but not food

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by CinnamonKiss, Jan 27, 2013.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Our cats can spot a bird from forever away but they can't find treats/meat we've placed right in front of their mouths! I think maybe they can't see it because they're so close up to it, and they finally remember to sniff it out. :p

CinnamonKiss, Jan 27, 2013
  2. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Hehe. I'm sure some of it has to do with movement, too. The bird moves, even if it's sitting still (its heartbeat, if nothing else, causes gentle movements). The dead meat that you've tossed on the floor, doesn't move at all.

Jessi, Jan 27, 2013
  3. CinnamonKiss

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I think so too, because if I dangle a piece of ribbon right in front of my cat, she's all over that. Cats totally go after things that move so if you set down a little piece of meat and it's just sitting there, the cat will be more interested in the squirrel outside the window than the piece of meat.

ACSAPA, Jan 28, 2013
  4. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

Good point! I agree, movement probably does play a part. And sound too. I'd imagine they can hear the bird before they see it, especially if it's singing or chirping.

CinnamonKiss, Jan 28, 2013
  5. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yep, surely so. And even subtle sounds like if it's closest enough to hear its breathing (remember, their ears are better than ours), then that's a dead giveaway where the bird is.

A dead piece of meat off your butcher block, though, isn't going to make any of those sounds at all. And swaying it in front of their faces may get their attention, but it takes a minute for the smell to register usually.

Jessi, Jan 28, 2013
    CinnamonKiss likes this.
  6. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Hahaha too true! I threw a piece of chicken on the ground last night for Bandit, it landed on his head, and stuck to his head...he was so confused! He couldn't work it out, or even find the piece of meat...

Scottyxx, Jan 29, 2013
  7. CinnamonKiss

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

Awwwwwwwwh! That would've confused me too! It's hard to smell things on your head and you can't see them..maybe he didn't even feel it?! It probably was very weird for him in general!

blurinoctober, Jan 29, 2013
  8. CinnamonKiss

amberra824 Active Member

I never really thought about it, but I guess it must be the movement that makes the difference! That makes perfect sense now.

amberra824, Jan 29, 2013
Ask a Question