Can cats health be damaged by stress or are they angels?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Jenny Heart, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I know someone who has emotional problems, and tends to get loud around her cats. She loves them, but her emotional problems tend to keep her emotions out of control. Her cat seems to never give up on her. They seem strong and healthy. I thought to myself, that her cats must indeed be angels, because, they never seem physically affected. What do you all think about this topic?

Jenny Heart, Jun 7, 2012
  2. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

I think cats are naturally more laid-back than a lot of other animals. Yes, they still sense stress and can be effected by it even, but in this case, the cat probably doesn't even see it as that stressful. If she's regularly had emotional problems, then it probably seems normal to the cat or something that doesn't change anything for her.

Jessi, Jun 18, 2012
  3. Jenny Heart

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

Thank you Jessi! Your opinion on this question makes me feel better. This person can't seen to control her emotions that well. I do pray that you are right that the cats are just laid back, and will hopefully not suffer any bad effects.

Jenny Heart, Jun 18, 2012
  4. Jenny Heart

Mystique Well-Known Member

I agree with Jessi - it could be that the cats are used to their owner being overly emotional. I do hope nothing will happen to the cats. I had a neighbour that was very emotional as well and when her husband left her, she went crazy and let's just say, the neighbours had to call the animal shelter to take the cats away from her.

Mystique, Jun 20, 2012
  5. Jenny Heart

Jessi Well-Known Member

Is your friend getting help elsewhere? It's possible her cats are a good thing for her, considering they can often be a stress reliever. If she's like this constantly, though, then it sounds like maybe she should get some counseling at the very least.

Jessi, Jun 20, 2012
  6. Jenny Heart

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

6 years ago, when I was upset about a family member dying and I was in a bad mood, I never took it out on my cat. I think most people feel calmer around their animals, not more upset. I never felt annoyed by my cat and never blamed her for any of the bad things that happened. I hope people are able to separate their problems and negative emotions from innocent animals that don't understand what's going on. Our role is to protect and care for our animals. That means manning up and forcing yourself to get up and feed your animals even if you are going through some rough stuff.

ACSAPA, Sep 8, 2012
Ask a Question