can anyone here suggest some essential cat toys?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by erik, Mar 17, 2015.

1. erik

erik Well-Known Member

can anyone here suggest some essential cat toys?

I mean those that are not only enjoyable for your cats but would also help you prevent your cats from doing damage in your home, like a scratching post maybe?

erik, Mar 17, 2015
  2. erik

Anne Well-Known Member

http://cats.about.com/od/cattoys/tp/homealonecats.htm

Erik, see if that link helps. When my Twinkle was alive, I eventually got tired of buying her toys. I recall buying lots of balls early on but by day two she was disinterested. I also bought her a light of some sort where he was supposed to follow the light. In no time he was tired of that. In the end all the strings that he could find around the house turned out to be his favourite toys: curtains strings etc. His best toy might have been his cousin Zola who is one of my pet dogs.:)

Anne, Mar 17, 2015
    erik likes this.
  3. erik

erik Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! I'll try out the free stuff first... paper bags and cardboard boxes! My main concern is the cats destroying furniture in the house and my plan is to distract them with kitty toys instead of creating chaos in the living room... I did try one of those tablet cat games tho with and it drives them crazy but after a while they get disinterested

erik, Mar 18, 2015
  4. erik

Anne Well-Known Member

I had lots of big plans for my Twinkle, but it was not meant to be I suppose. He liked to scratch the furniture at times but I tried to discourage him and he was not all bad at listening. I still have some cheap scratch thing I bought from Walmart when I traveled. After I bought it in haste, when I got back to my country I was afraid to open it. It looked like it would have made quite a mess. I still have it at home in the post. I'll try and remember to tell what it is so you never buy it.

A scratch bed might help. I just opted for some cheaper version thing that I never used and wouldn't have even if Twinkle was still alive.

Anne, Mar 18, 2015
  5. erik

wahmed Active Member

I think you need to set boundaries early on. They may destroy your i pad if you leave it to close. Get them a scratch post and a place that is theirs for quite time. Take the door of a kitchen cabinet perhaps

wahmed, Mar 19, 2015
  6. erik

Trellum Well-Known Member

Most cats don't even need toys, specially if they send some time outdoors, in that case they rarely need any toys. My Bob got a couple nice toys, some tiny mice and one of those sticks with something fuzzy in the end.

Trellum, Mar 31, 2015
  7. erik

erik Well-Known Member

Okay I guess I'm all set with a scratch post, a litter box, some strings and tablet app games for cats:)

erik, Apr 1, 2015
  8. erik

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Cat nip. Anything with catnip will keep mine busy for hours! I think he might actually be developing an unhealthy attachment.

LilAnn, May 22, 2015
  9. erik

erik Well-Known Member

I actually don't know what a cat nip is! I've been seeing it mentioned around here in the forums tho... I'm going to have to google that :) So far my cats have been crazy over bottle caps, carpets, boxes and ball pen caps!

erik, May 24, 2015
Ask a Question