Can a cat be trained to sit on command-Cat Psychology

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Anne, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

I have very vague recollections of my Twinkle sitting when I asked the dogs to sit. I am guessing it happened maybe once or twice and truth be told it was probably pure coincidence.

Even with him gone, I still wonder if cats can be trained to sit. I found this interesting bit of reading that said they can't be trained, but they can be persuaded. Does your cat sit on command and would you even consider trying to train it to do just that? If you decide to try this article might be useful.

http://www.thepurrcompany.com/cat-articles/index.php?id=91

Anne, Jun 22, 2015
  2. Anne

erik Well-Known Member

This sounds a lot of work but I'm gonna try it! I wonder how many hours of training day would be optimal...

erik, Jun 23, 2015
  3. Anne

Trellum Well-Known Member

Lol, I kinda laughed at the persuaded part. The more I know cats the more I realize they are more like people than like animals. I kinda like that about cats, but I also love dogs because they do what you tell them to just because you say it. While cats act like really narcissistic pampered manipulative kids, lol.

Trellum, Jun 25, 2015
  4. Anne

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I've never seen a cat trained to sit, but Ive seen them trained to fetch. If they can fetch you would think they can sit. They are every bit as smart, or smarter, than a lot of animals I've seen trained to do sit and what not. Maybe its because they are a little bit harder to work with.

LilAnn, Jun 28, 2015
  5. Anne

Vitani Member

Yes, my old roommate had a Ragamuffin named Nico. She had him trained to sit on command. I have learned training varies from cat to cat. The easiest to train for tricks like sit, lay down, shake, high five, that sort of thing are food driven cats. They will do almost anything for a treat. I am trying to teach my youngest cat Viper, a tortieshell to touch my hand. She is a very vocal cat and meows the whole time. We are making progress, she is extremely temperamental about how I give her food. She still growls when I hold it.

Vitani, Jul 25, 2015
    Herman&Eddie likes this.
  6. Anne

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

It may be possible. I remember reading somewhere that cats are every bit as intelligent as dogs but cats just choose to ignore you and do their own thing. lol It all depends on the cat. Some cats are just laid back and wouldn't respond well to trying to train them. Anything is possible though.

Susan Brown, Jul 25, 2015
  7. Anne

LilAnn Well-Known Member

You just have to find their weakness. I had a cat who would do anything for a piece of cheese. It was the only time that cat ever sat in the same room, much less my lap.

LilAnn, Aug 5, 2015
  8. Anne

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Enjoyed your article and story about Twinkle sitting upon "command" or following suit when your dogs sat. I wonder, if he simply enjoyed being part of the group. Was it treat time? As Lilann commented, cats do enjoy their treats. Our cats will sit when it is treat time, but I think this is more in anticipation instead of us commanding them to sit. Who knows? I do think the key word here is "persuaded' lol

One thing is for sure with my Herman and Eddie. They do listen to the command NO. They will hustle right out of the room. For example, after Herman finished her breakfast, she thought she would help herself to Eddies food. I said NO and oh she knew this behavior was not acceptable. But have I trained her? I doubt it, she will try again later.

Are you thinking about getting another kitten or cat, yet?

Herman&Eddie, Aug 9, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  9. Anne

LilAnn Well-Known Member

I don't know if any of my cats have listened to any commands, not "no" or anything else. My cats have always known their name, though. I guess that's a sign they have listened at least once.

LilAnn, Aug 9, 2015
  10. Anne

mimio Active Member

It is true that some people can do it, but I'm more inclined to let the cat grew up with some basic skills.
    After all, I compare lazy.

mimio, Aug 10, 2015
  11. Anne

Anne Well-Known Member

While I can never swear on the sitting on command I know for sure he knew his name and that was good and bad. Don't know if you all know this but he was named Twinkle when we thought he was a female. By the time we found out he was male he was already responding so well to what we thought was a girl name we could dare change it.
    With his untimely passing I guess Twinkle was the best name as he shines on.

Anne, Aug 10, 2015
  12. Anne

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

My cats know their names and responds to them but that is about it. Harley will respond when he feels like it or if you can him to get a treat. If it involves food, he always listens. Merle, on the other hand, always comes running when you call his name. It doesn't matter where he is or what he is doing at the time. He always responds.

Susan Brown, Aug 10, 2015
  13. Anne

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My cats have always picked and chose when they wanted to listen. I've never managed to get one to respect my authority, though lol

LilAnn, Aug 11, 2015
  14. Anne

LilAnn Well-Known Member

lmao, the makes Merle a one of a kind! I have never had a cat that wasn't better than me, and expected me to come running when they meow.

LilAnn, Aug 11, 2015
  15. Anne

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

Maybe it is the tone of my voice with my command of NOOOOOO or my frantic behavior that gets them to listen. It surely does not mean they will not try their same behavior that had me saying NOOOO, when I turn my back! Cats certainly do have a mind of their own. Unlike a dog, they come to their name when they feel like it. Never on command. :p

I agree, that most cats know their name. I guess, it is just in their nature to respond at their own leisure. Speaking of names. We always try to make sure that the cats have various sounds and pitches, too.

Herman&Eddie, Aug 12, 2015
    LilAnn likes this.
  16. Anne

LilAnn Well-Known Member

My cats have always had very selective hearing. If I call them or tell them "no" they are oblivious. If the hear a cheese wrapper 2 houses away, they start running... super sonic speed.

LilAnn, Aug 13, 2015
Ask a Question