Baths and water

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by GavinMcresty, May 10, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a cat who enjoys baths? I have seen a few videos on Youtube of cats swimming around happily. Is your cat at all like that? Or are they more typical of cats who hate water and fight to get away from it? We never even tried to give our cat a bath because we knew she would scratch us if we tried to.

GavinMcresty, May 10, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

mariposa Well-Known Member

Our cat likes water in general (dripping faucets, her drinking fountain, etc.) and she doesn't even mind getting a bath once in a while. The problem comes when we try to towel her off, though... she just doesn't like that at all. Remaining soaking wet isn't a good option though, because she'll lick all day (I mean worse that if we get some with a towel) and then that usually results in a hairball.

mariposa, May 12, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

CatFour Active Member

Two of mine don't mind a bath at all and one is scared silly of the bath. I've only tried giving him a bath twice and he was so scared and he started howling so I just gave up on it. I didn't want to stress him out or get scratched to pieces in the process. We've never tried to give the kitten a bath yet. She had an injury when we found her, so we have been doctoring on her and haven't worried about a bath yet.

CatFour, May 13, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

When Sibyl was a kitten she didn't mind baths so much, but then we moved houses. She's fully grown now and I decided to try to bathe her not long after we got here.. bad idea. There's a glass door in the shower here (at home, where she didn't mind so much, it was just a curtain) and it made her panic. She scaled the glass door and scratched the heck out of us (my girlfriend tried to help me out) in the process. It was insane! From now on I just buy bathing wipes to use on her and Alice. Much easier.

blurinoctober, May 14, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

steph84 Well-Known Member

My cat liked baths when he was just a baby. He would hold onto the side of his bath tub and just sit there while I'd bathe him. He'd even float and loved it, but now he will claw all over my back to get out of the water. So now I take him to the groomer's. It's worth the scratch free weekends.

steph84, May 18, 2013
  6. GavinMcresty

Trellum Well-Known Member

My cat doesn't seem to really love the whole bathing experience, but he doesn't seem to be that bothered by it either :) I mean, I remember when my cousin was trying to give her cat a bath! That poor thing fought with all its might! He scratched my cousin really bad as well. My Bob never does that, he just meows in a weird way... almost as crying, hehehe.

Trellum, Dec 26, 2013
Ask a Question