Are you able to feet your cat a set amount daily?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by kalasin, Aug 27, 2012.

1. kalasin

kalasin Member

We normally leave a full food bowl (dry food) out for our cat. She's starting to put on weight so our vet suggested 3/4 cup of food daily. Now, we have NO idea how much she's eating daily, we generally have to refill her bowl every 4 days or so. However, if her bowl is even close to running low, nobody in this house gets any sleep until we fill it up again. So, only giving her 3/4 c food every day is not going so well. Any suggestions?

kalasin, Aug 27, 2012
  2. kalasin

Jessi Well-Known Member

Instead of dropping down to only the 3/4 cup immediately, just start feeding her a bit less for now until she starts adjusting. And instead of filling it throughout the day, give her a set amount in the morning and evening. She can go without needing a refill constantly.

Jessi, Aug 27, 2012
  3. kalasin

kalasin Member

Thanks, I will give that a try. Our big problem is as soon as she can start seeing the bottom of her bowl, she gets mad. She's noisy and she acts like we are starving her. On a similar note, if her water jug is low, I tend to find her in the sink!

kalasin, Aug 28, 2012
  4. kalasin

Trellum Well-Known Member

I agree with the other poster, feed the cat 3/4, but do it little by little; a bit in the morning, by noon, evening or night. That should do the trick.

Trellum, Sep 7, 2014
  5. kalasin

Aymes Member

Hey Kalasin! It can definitely be tough trying to feed your cat a smaller amount. I had to go through it with my cat and it's not fun. I will tell you that it is best for the cat and she will get used to it, I promise. It just takes a little extra effort. What kind of food do you feed your cat and what's her weight and age? I can calculate her daily caloric needs if you give me that information. I would also suggest getting a lower calorie food, that way she can eat more and won't feel deprived. Then I would get a measuring cup and everyday fill it up to her daily amount and pour her some food twice a day. Maybe half in the morning and half at night. If she likes to whine before bed save a little in the cup to give her before bed. Hope that helps!

Aymes, Dec 13, 2014
  6. kalasin

PennySafe Member

I just leave out an open bowl for my cats, but I think it may need to be rationed out like your vet suggested. My little cat has a pot belly.

PennySafe, Dec 23, 2014
Ask a Question