Are Cats Of The Same Color Instinctively Enemies?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by CatsEyeView, Jun 16, 2016.

1. CatsEyeView

CatsEyeView New Member

This scenario has happened twice and I don't know if it's a coincidence or if there's something to it, so I thought I'd ask and see if this has ever happened to anyone else. I have a grey male tabby cat that is basically an indoor cat, but goes outside, and I also have a female grey tabby that stays outside all the time. (He is neutered, she is spayed). Every time the male sees the female, he chases her away. He basically gets along with all the other cats (there are 7 in total), except this one. He just doesn't like her. She isn't an aggressive cat and she minds her owns business. She is actually kind of a loner and prefers to be by herself.

The next incident happened with my male, neutered, black and white tuxedo cat, and a male stray (I'm assuming not neutered) that looked almost exactly like my cat. Now, I realize the other cat was a stray and that most cats chase strays away anyway, but my cat, who is normally friendly to any cat just hated that black and white cat. I would hear them hissing at each other and when the stray seen me, he would take off. My cat would then start chasing the other cat away until I called him back to me. This happened several times until the stray stopped coming to the house.

These two incidents just seem kind of odd because the cats involved were the same color. Does anyone know if cats instinctively don't like other cats that are the same color as they are? I know this doesn't happen with all cats, as I've had cats of the same color before that got along okay, I just wonder if there's something to it or if anyone else has ever had this happen with their cats.

CatsEyeView, Jun 16, 2016
  2. CatsEyeView

Valerie Active Member

I don't think it has anything to do with the coat color, honestly. If that was true, feral cat colonies would be nothing but bloodbaths and caterwaul. I've had tuxedo cats who were inseparable,and tabbies with the exact same coat tag along together. Perhaps your cats sense something in these other cats that you can't detect, like an illness. Sometimes, cats are just like people and dislike others for no reason.

Valerie, Jun 16, 2016
  3. CatsEyeView

casey84 Active Member

I wasn't aware of that either - but to be honest I think my cat is a bit wary of any other cat, no matter the color! Strangely, he's better with dogs, but I think that's part of the fact that we are a one dog, one cat household... he's known nothing else than having a dog as his brother!

If we get another person's cat in our backyard, our cat always makes growling/hissing noises at the other cat irrespective of the color! So maybe it's just to do with them being territorial :)

casey84, Jun 16, 2016
Ask a Question