Anybody have an FIV cat?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by zozo90, Apr 16, 2015.

1. zozo90

zozo90 New Member

My male kitty was evidently born with FIV. He's 11 and I didn't even know he had it until last year. So far he's been very healthy until the last 18 months. He's picked up two upper respiratory infections since then,but he's recovered both times.

zozo90, Apr 16, 2015
  2. zozo90

Trellum Well-Known Member

Woah, so sorry to hear your cat suffers from that! To be honest you are the very first person I hear that has a cat with FIV! How did you find out he had FIV? Is there a test to detect FIV?

Trellum, Apr 16, 2015
  3. zozo90

Herman&Eddie Well-Known Member

I had never heard of the term FIV, had to go look it up! I am so sorry to hear your has the Feline Immunodeficiency Virus How did you figure it out? Was you cat showing symptoms and signs before the upper respiratory infection? What type of treatment is your cat receiving, if any?

To imagine going through so long and never knowing! Your cat is almost as old as our Herman! Must of been a worrisome these last 18 months! I would imagine you keep your cat inside? Will keep good thoughts for no more complications! :)

Herman&Eddie, Apr 17, 2015
  4. zozo90

Trellum Well-Known Member

Last time i checked I read this virus can be transmitted from cat to cat by mating, that and during fights. That was one of the reasons I stopped letting my Bob out. Really scary if you think about it! Wonder why we don't about FIV often? It's as serious for our cats as HIV is for us humans.

Trellum, Apr 17, 2015
  5. zozo90

Anne Well-Known Member

Well when I saw the abbreviation I was clueless and decided I was going to check it out before I commented and then sure enough Herman & Eddie gave me a start. So there you go. You have introduced me to something quite foreign and sad when you really think about it.

I did a little reading and it appears it can be transmitted from mother to kitten even though it's a rather rare occurrence. I am happy he lived a healthy life and I pray he stays with you for a while yet. Best wishes to you and your little one.

Anne, Apr 17, 2015
Ask a Question