Anal Glands

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by MER, Oct 28, 2015.

1. MER

MER Well-Known Member

Has anyone expereniced a problem with their cats anal glands? Rosco is going in next month to get fixed and the check-in sheet mentioned that sometimes anal glands need to be stimulated to drain. After reading this, I became more aware that sometimes when I pick Rosco up (he's a boy), that my hand smells like urine. When I lift him, one hand goes behind each set of legs; one front and one rear by his bottom. Even one time I think he let out some pee or something.

Ever since, I've made it a point to smell around his hind legs. Sometimes he has a strong odor and most times he smells like a cat. When its strong, I try to place him by his litter box hoping that he would do some business but he usually walks off. From what I've read, they are used for marking territory and should drain when he poops. I've never noticed this before on any of my other cats over the years.

What's your experience?

MER, Oct 28, 2015
  2. MER

Janet Ford Member

I've never had it in any of my cats but have had dogs with the issue. It's important to have your groomer check them and empty them if needed but do be cautious that it's not a super frequent thing as pets have been known to become dependent on it. If the pet is not able to empty them on his/her own, it can cause a lot of pain and infection so it is important to monitor. Quite easy for a groomer to relieve. Of course your vet can do it as well.

Janet Ford, Oct 30, 2015
  3. MER

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

I have had many cats over the years and I have never experienced such a thing. I have with dogs but never cars. I would talk to a vet or a groomer. They can help you with this.
    All the best to you and Rosco.

Susan Brown, Oct 30, 2015
  4. MER

MER Well-Known Member

Thanks for the well wishes. I'm sure to mention it when I take the little guy in. I already feel sorry for him when he comes out having to wear that cone collar for a week while he heals. Gemma was kind of cute wearing it when she went in but felt sorry for her as well. So sad but necessary.

MER, Nov 2, 2015
Ask a Question