Amusing Things Our Cats Do

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Wallie0921, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Wallie0921

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Yes, some cats are very bossy with their food. Usually in one litter there will be one that tries to take over the feed bowl. Some even go so far as to get inside the feed bowl and squat on all the food to stop the others from getting at it. So I usually would have a few bowls handy.

Victor Leigh, Apr 29, 2012
  2. Wallie0921

Mystique Well-Known Member

Such lovely stories! I have too many to tell, but I like this one the best because I love cats that are all over me. Kontot, a tabby cat I had many years ago, liked to prop his chin on my lap, leg, or hand whenever he saw me lying down to watch TV or to read. It was as if he waited for the time for me to lie down, so that he could do it. He was such a tough cat and he was the guardian of all the cats in the neighbourhood, I kid you not. Our next-door neighbour were just as crazy about as we my family are, and they had more cats than we did. Whenever outsider cats (from other houses in the vicinity) roamed around my small neighbourhood and "attacked" the other cat, Kontot would be the first to chase them away! He was such a fine cat. I called him Kontot because he had a short, round tail. It's in my language, and in translation, it means short.

Mystique, Apr 30, 2012
  3. Wallie0921

violino Well-Known Member

This is very nice:) My cats have two bowls but if one is eating, the other one, instead of going to the other bowl, is waiting for her to finish.

And if we talk about funny things.. my younger (2yo now) devil is like a ninja - she run fast toward a wall and she jump on this wall (about 1m high) and turns back.

violino, May 5, 2012
  4. Wallie0921

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I have seen some of my cats doing that, too. Usually they do it when they go outdoors. They would run at full speed towards the nearest tree and take a flying leap up the trunk. Oddly, they are not chasing anything. They just climb up the tree part way then slide back down again. Once in while, they would get a bit too high up the tree and then they would call for my help to get them back on the ground again.

Victor Leigh, May 5, 2012
  5. Wallie0921

Mystique Well-Known Member

Zopie likes to chase his own tail and he makes a fuss about it too. He makes these noises when he chases it in circles, as if he's letting the tail know that he's annoyed that he can't catch it.

Out of the three cats, he is the only one that likes to climb on my laptop tray and look at me, as if to tell me I need to make space for his tiny body so that he can sit next to the laptop. *sighs*

Mystique, Jun 18, 2012
  6. Wallie0921

Lilly&May Member

That's adorable! My cats like each other but that would never fly in my house! hahaha

Lilly&May, Jun 14, 2013
  7. Wallie0921

MER Well-Known Member

I've done some research and reading on cat foods and came to the conclusion the best thing to do is read the label for ingredients. From what I've read, there's really no difference between adult and kitten food. More so on the quantities needed. Kittens should be fed 3 times a day and adults twice.

I recently switched to "Honest Kitchen Prowl Dehydrated Cat Food". You mix water with a little bit of food and serve it up. I'm posting here because Rosco really enjoyed this food. This morning when I mixed up a dish and served it to him, he pawed at the floor as if trying to bury it. I'm not sure if his senses are off or if he doesn't like it anymore. He did go over to his step-sisters bowl and eat some dry food. We'll have to see what happens.

MER, Sep 9, 2015
  8. Wallie0921

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

This is an awesome post! Love reading all the stories.
    They sure made my day. Cats are such great little entertainers.
    They are always getting into something! lol

Susan Brown, Nov 2, 2015
  9. Wallie0921

Felix the Cat New Member

I'm not sure what would classify as an amusing thing my cat does, but there are sooo many things which seem normal to me already.

My cat loves running around the house and climbing on the door, literally. She enjoys me running after her and we race from time to time.
    She sleeps in the weirdest positions ever which cannot even be described, like face upside down hanging from the bed, or sometimes like an exact human being, covered with the sheets and with a small arm under her head.
    From time to time, during summer, she might jump trying to catch flies. When she manages to catch the fly, she eats it. She's a cute weirdo.

Felix the Cat, Nov 2, 2015
  10. Wallie0921

MER Well-Known Member

My resident cat Gemma (table top), and I use to play hide & seek. I'd chase after her and she'd run into a room. I'd step out and hide behind a door or in another room and wait for her to come out. She'd slowly poke her head out or proceed with caution until she could sniff me out. When we'd make eye contact, the chase would begin all over again. She's not so playful with me now that Rosco came into the picture. She's still t'd off at me! :eek:(

MER, Nov 4, 2015
  11. Wallie0921

CherylTorrie Member

I once had a cat that was a pack rat. If I left anything out that he could carry he would take it and place it under a chair in the dining room. If I was ever missing anything like an necklace or a hair clip, I only had to go to the dining room and retrieve it from under his chair. I have never seen this behavior in any of my other cats. I still miss him and think of this oddity often. Have you ever had a cat that was a gatherer?

CherylTorrie, Nov 7, 2015
  12. Wallie0921

MER Well-Known Member

I've necessarily a gatherer like that. My wife is really a dog person coming around with cats. She's always complaining that the cats don't 'fetch'. What they do however is bring toys around when we're not there or asleep. We'd wake up in the mornings and there would be a play mouse or jingle ball next to the bed. Or when we come home, there'd be a toy at the door or in our slippers.

Rosco just hit the curiosity age where he's fascinated with the bottom of doors. Everytime I walk into a room with a door that sometimes gets shut, he's sitting there waiting for my fingers to wiggle underneath so he can attack.

Years ago when my girl friend and her 9 yo boy lived with me, we got two cats. I came home one afternoon and the kids bluejeans were on the livingroom floor. One or both of the cats drug them downstairs from his room.

MER, Nov 9, 2015
  13. Wallie0921

p885 Member

How cute! The cats that I have like to eat alone. They trade bowls but they do not like to eat together.

p885, Nov 23, 2015
  14. Wallie0921

KimmyMarkks Active Member

That's interesting about them sharing bowls. I've always had a bowl for each of my cats and never really noticed them sharing or not sharing. My younger cat will start eating out of a bowl until my older one comes and eats out of a different bowl. Then he will nudge her away and want to eat out of whatever bowl she is eating from. He does the several times before she hisses and walks away.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 10, 2015
  15. Wallie0921

Trellum Well-Known Member

I've only had one cat, so I haven't had this problem with food bowls and stuff :p But I have a friend who has several cats and they often share bowls, but then again those cats grew up together and been knowing each other for so long.

Trellum, Dec 17, 2015
  16. Wallie0921

KimmyMarkks Active Member

I have a cat who watches TV. I will put on a nature show and it will sit in front of the television with big eyes and watch all the animals on the screen. One time it lunged at a squirrel on the TV and almost knocked it over. He is an indoor cat so other then the TV and window he doesn't get much excitement.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 24, 2015
Ask a Question