Advice On Taking In A New Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mystique, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

My boyfriend and I have been thinking about getting another cat for us and Snowy, but we're not sure if it is a good idea, as Snowy has always been the 'boss' of the house. We both love animals, especially cats and we grew up with tons of cats in the house. At one point in my life, my family and I had over 20 cats, because my brothers had the habit of picking up stray cats on the way to school/on the way to the house. So, we kept the cats until we had to move to another state, due to my father's line of work, and thank goodness, we managed to find friends that needed/wanted pets.

I can't remember if we had any difficulty with the cats being among each other. It must have not been so bad for them to mingle with one another. However, a few years ago, I had a Persian cat (Shadow), and then a stray cat came to live with us, and Shadow was not very happy about it. I think it took him about a couple of months to get used to the idea of having the company of another cat.

Now, I'm not sure how to go about it. Snowy seems like she likes being on her own. I need some advice/tips on how I can get Snowy to like the idea of having a new friend... or if it is a good idea at all, to get another cat.

Thanks in advance!

Mystique, Apr 30, 2012
  2. Mystique

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think if Snowy is doing fine on her own, then there's no need to get another cat. Why look for extra headaches? Unless you really do want one more cat. In which case, you probably already know how to get the two cats to like each other since you have had so many cats before.

Victor Leigh, Apr 30, 2012
  3. Mystique

I don't really know, really, especially seeing that cats have different personalities. The last time I had more than 2 or 3 cats were many years ago. I stopped taking cats in after the last one died from a sickness. Crushed me, big time. Snowy came upon chance, when my boyfriend's ex-wife, and his kids moved into a new neighbourhood, and they couldn't have a pet there. So, we took her in. It was meant to be a temporary thing, but I grew to love her too much to let her go. At times, I feel as if she wants to play with another cat, because she keeps eyeing the small dogs (perhaps, she wants to chase them? :D) and she does look bored with two humans who are constantly on their laptops!

Mystique, Apr 30, 2012
  4. Mystique

Jenny Heart Well-Known Member

I know several cat owners that have an issue about this same topic. They don't want the one cat to be jealous, but they still would like to have another cat in the house. My sister has a cat that is the type of cat that shouldn't have to be around another cat. She would hiss and swat like she was going to tear the other cat apart, and then have a heart attack. I told her never to make this cat be around other cats..

Jenny Heart, Apr 30, 2012
  5. Mystique

That is what I am afraid of. Snowy can be the most lovable creature with us, but she can turn out to be a monster with her own species :p I just thought about it this morning, maybe I'll head down the animal shelter where my boyfriend's mother works and ask the vet for some advice. Perhaps, she has some tips or ways to make it easier for a new cat to live with us. After going through some photos of cats, I feel that one more would be fine. Can't have more than that!

Mystique, May 1, 2012
  6. Mystique

Tell you what. Just get Snowy her own laptop. That should solve the problem. I was told that cats love laptops like this one:
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
  7. Mystique

Aawww... that is sooo adorable!!! Ggrrr... I won't be able to put the cat aside.. I'm such a doormat when it comes to my cats!

Okay, so I have made the decision to take in another cat. Depending on the weather today, we will meet my boyfriend's mum at the animal shelter to pick one for our home. She called this morning to let us know we can visit the cats anytime today. I'm happy and nervous all at the same time!

Mystique, May 2, 2012
  8. Mystique

Why don't you take Snowy along, too? Then you can see first-hand which cat she likes.

Victor Leigh, May 2, 2012
Ask a Question