advice on kitty seizures

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by pam frye, Nov 17, 2011.

1. pam frye

pam frye New Member

my six month old old calico is having seizures. I took her to vet. Blood work was normal. We tried a steroid shot and antibiotics. She improved in about five days. She returned to her old self and then within three weeks, the seizures started again. Took her back to vet who tested her taxoplasmosis and put her on phenobarbitol and antiobiotics. The toxoplasmosis test was negative. She is getting better but still having seizures. She was tested for all of the kitty diseases and immunized prior to adoption. There is no known head trauma. I am told that tumors in kittens are rare. I am stumped. so is the vet. Cannot afford the 1,200 CAT scan at this point.

pam frye, Nov 17, 2011
  2. pam frye

Wallie0921 Well-Known Member

She's still having seizures while on the phenobarbital? If she is, the first thing I'd do is see if there's another medication your vet can prescribe.

Times are tough, but is there any chance you'll be able to afford the imaging tests at some point in the future? Because if there is, I'd recommend starting to save up for them. Worst-case scenario, you have money for the tests. Best-case, you have money saved up for something else.

Keep us posted on what happens.

Wallie0921, Nov 17, 2011
  3. pam frye

christy sharpton Active Member

That is terrible. I hate hearing stories like that, I am a big cat persona and I do not know what I would do If that was happening to my cats. Good luck to you and I hope everything goes well with your cat.

christy sharpton, Nov 23, 2011
  4. pam frye

Yolanda Well-Known Member

That's awful, I am so sad to hear that. It's very hard when your kitty is in some kind of pain or trouble that you can't understand.
    I wonder if the seizures could be a form of epilepsy? I once had a dog that would get a seizure if she played for a long time in a row. Her brain would run out of oxygen (or something like that?), and she got a seizure. She than fell over and after a short while she would play again and it seemed like nothing was wrong with her. She didn't get medication for it and she lived a long and healthy live apart from the fact we had to monitor her play. I hope you will get similar good results for your kitten!

Yolanda, Nov 27, 2011
  5. pam frye

Wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I have seizures, but I have never seen a cat have them. I am so very sorry, please make sure you tell the vet each time the cat has one, and how long it last. Prayers...

Wahcashmom, Dec 22, 2011
  6. pam frye

steph84 Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry your kitty is having seizures! My little chihuahua & border terrier mix dog has seizures and we were scared for her at first, but they have significantly decreased over the years. Now she has one every year or two instead of every few months. Our vet told us to give her cheese to raise her blood sugar. What are your kitty's feeding/eating patterns? Try feeding it throughout the day, get a second opinion and try new medication. If that doesn't help, try finding financial assistance and free services through a local pet shelter, vet training school (college or university) or through a non-profit. There is help out there! You just have to look for it. Best of luck to you and your kitty! Please keep us posted!

steph84, Jan 26, 2012
Ask a Question