Adult Male Cats Always Leave Home and Never Return

Discussion in 'Pictures and Videos' started by GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016.

1. GeeTee

GeeTee Member

Hi everyone,

Ever since I was a child, I noticed that adult male cats seem to just disappear after a few years and never return. You can almost tell when they are, like, saying their goodbyes/giving hints that they're about to go. I really hate that. We have one now (Hunter), and must say I'm not looking forward to the day he goes and never returns. It has happened a few times where we sensed he was giving hints - not coming home for days and then just popping up - but thankfully so far he has returned and stayed long enough to allay our fears.

It always pains my heart, but must say Tiger, the one we had before Hunter, just went. We just don't even feel as if he gave us any warning. Sometimes we feel he died somewhere and just didn't make it home. It's not easy to get so attached to a cat for years, and then one day he just up and leaves. Does anyone else here have that experience with their male adult cats? What's behind this behavior?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
  2. GeeTee

ProNine Member

Could it be that you have multiple cats in the household? I don't really know what can be causing such behavior among these cute creatures but we all know how territorial they are. Maybe it's because they all kind of want to dominate the place but they don't manage to so they just leave. Maybe if you provide a bit more input on how many cats are living together at once, then maybe I could think a bit more.

ProNine, Jul 8, 2016
  3. GeeTee

GeeTee Member

Hi ProNine... It's usually just one cat, especially if there's a male cat because we know they are territorial. At one point we had a female and a male cat. Our male cats usually go out to party :) and mate as they like and come home to sleep, and get fed and petted, then they repeat their cycle all over again. I really can't say why they do that, but I remember as kids we were told male cats do not stay until they get old and die. They just tend to stay and then one day never return.

GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
  4. GeeTee

cluckeyo Active Member

A lot of times they are just out sparking. They may stay gone a month at a time when they are doing this. The best thing you can do for your male cat is have him neutered. Then he will settle down and become a wonderful house kitty. If they are not neutered, they roam a lot and constantly get into fights, They generally don't live nearly as long.

cluckeyo, Jul 21, 2016
  5. GeeTee

Anne Well-Known Member

Those who know me, know I lost my Twinkle when I started to allow him to go outside. He turned up dead about a week or two later after he went missing. One friend was sure he would return but I knew my Twinkle would never go missing voluntarily. He came home every time religiously and I knew something was not right. His passing truly broke my heart. More than a year later and I still get sad at times. Owning a cat was new to me and I only realised late in his very short life that he was actually a male. I regret not knowing what I know now and @cluckeyo you seem to be very correct about neutering. Only if.......

Anne, Jul 21, 2016
  6. GeeTee

GeeTee Member

Thanks for the comments. For me, getting my cat neutered is not an option I'd consider. I wouldn't try to keep them indoors either. I like when they live their lives as it was meant to be and just roam, enjoy themselves and come home. I don't like that they disappear and never return, but I just hate the thought of having them so restricted when they have so much outdoor space to roam and be themselves.

GeeTee, Aug 2, 2016
  7. GeeTee

cluckeyo Active Member

Daisy is staying gone a lot these days, but checks in periodically. I think something has got his attention. He's done it before but it's been a long time. At first I thought he was gone, but he finally did show up and then pretty quick he was gone again. We have pet doors.

cluckeyo, Aug 17, 2016
Ask a Question