ADD in Cats

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by blurinoctober, Nov 25, 2012.

1. blurinoctober

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

I was wondering how common of an occurrence this is? I'd never really heard of it until one of my friends got an albino kitten. He was really, really playful 24/7 and never knew when to stop! They took him to the vet and found out he had kitty ADD. He was also completely deaf and blind in one eye. The vet told them being deaf also contributed to him not knowing when to stop playing.

They ended up giving the kitten away because they have a small child (he's about nine months old now) and he wouldn't stop attacking him, even after they got him on medication.

Does anyone else have a cat like this? If so, how does the cat react to medicine and certain situations? I'm mostly curious because I did want the kitten (he was sweet!) but I couldn't take him because one of my current cats is much calmer and more of a loner.

blurinoctober, Nov 25, 2012
  2. blurinoctober

Jessi Well-Known Member

Seriously? I have never heard of that at all and to be honest, it sounds really far fetched to me. It sounds like trying to pin a human disorder that they already like to tag on to every other person out there....now onto animals as well. I understand if the cat was attacking people, why it would need to be given away. Outside of that, I'm not sure this is something that needed to be medicated at all.

Jessi, Dec 19, 2012
  3. blurinoctober

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I feel like this is just a kitten being a kitten! I feel your right, the deafness might contribute to it being contused as to when sleepy time is, and it is likely attacking the baby due to the noise startling it, and it not knowing what to do because it is so little.

Scottyxx, Dec 20, 2012
  4. blurinoctober

Mhm, I never really thought to question it. This cat was beyond normal kitten though. He literally never stopped and did act like an ADD kid does. Was it an actual disorder or just a side-effect of his deafness and being a kitten? I have no idea. Just that he has a better home for him now.

blurinoctober, Dec 21, 2012
  5. blurinoctober

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

When I got my kittens they would not stop, not for a second, so living in a little apartment, at nighttime we used to put them to bed in a large plastic tote with a mesh / cage on top. They would meow for like an hour, then finally settle, it was the only way we could get them to know it was time to stop or else they would be in the blinds or chewing cables...so glad they have grown out of that haha!

Scottyxx, Dec 21, 2012
    blurinoctober likes this.
  6. blurinoctober

Alice has started trying to chew cables! I've been locking her in my bedroom with me at night and, aside from chewing at my feet, she's been doing well so far. Your solution sounds like something worth trying if I ever have problem kittens again!

blurinoctober, Dec 21, 2012
Ask a Question