A natural way to kill of fleas in your home

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Yolanda, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,

I haven't had fleas in my appartement ever since I moved in three years ago. My cats don't go outside but since a short while they have access to our balcony which is now safe for them to use because it's shielded off (will post a pic later :) I do check for fleas regularly because I do visit other people with cats and dogs and you never know when it might hit. Well, it just did. I found a flea on two of my five cats. It's just two fleas, but I don't feel comfortable about it at all. The cats are now treated but I wanted a safe way to treat my home as well without al the hazardous sprays and such. I found this online and thought I would share. I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like it would really work!
    The woman who tried it had suffered from cancer and came up with this because she didn't want the chemicals in her house:

- Wash all textiles (pillows, blankets,etc) on at least 60 degrees celcius with not just your laundry detergent but also a good splash of white, natural vinegar. This kills the flea eggs.
    - Vacuum your home very well and through out the bag immediatly (outside!)
    - Spray or pour the white, natural vinegar in every nook and cranny of your house, especially at the seams of your carpet or wooden floor.
    - Use a steam claener and fill it with water, a good splash of the vinegar and couple of drops of pure lavender oil. Steam everything in your home from your drapes to the matras. Steam kills both the fleas and the eggs, most sprays don't destroy the eggs as well!
    - To finish off spray some lavender oil (you can thinnen with water if you like) around the house on everything you just cleaned. Fleas hate lavender so they won't like to come back.

Also, a tip to help prevent fleas on your cat is to feed them cat threats from biofood. I haven't had them for cats but my parents have the variant for dogs and it works very well. They are all natural ingrediƫnt and the active ingredient is garlic. Garlic is ok to use but can be toxic if you give them to much. By using these special treats in the amount adviced you're sure not to overfeed them.

Hope you guys benefit from this and I will let you know how it worked once I save up for the steam cleaner :)

Yolanda, Sep 9, 2012
    blurinoctober and Becky like this.
  2. Yolanda

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I would suggest Tea Tree Oil, it is used naturally to repel insects, and is used in several pet products (I should know, I used to work in a pet shampoo factory where we made Tea Tree Shampoo!).

It smells pretty pleasant, and can be obtained from any store where you can buy scented oils. You can water it down and use it as a wash on your pet, and also wash your house with it. I would suggest buying the Tea Tree shampoo though just so you know you are not harming your little babies!

Scottyxx, Sep 10, 2012
    Yolanda likes this.
  3. Yolanda

Yolanda Well-Known Member

Very true, I heard to much tea tree oil can really harm your pet so it's saver to go for the shampoo. Currently I don't have cats that are used to being bathed but if I ever get a kitten again I will frequently bath it so he or she will get used to it. It's so much easier.

Yolanda, Sep 10, 2012
  4. Yolanda

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Yeah it can, if you use too much it can be very bad, even deadly. I remember in my old factory we made cat and dog shampoo and people started using the dog shampoo on their cats...to not much success..because the Tea Tree was too strong it was actually hurting the cats and not helping. So it is very important to use a little bit!

Scottyxx, Sep 11, 2012
  5. Yolanda

steph84 Well-Known Member

We use eucalyptus oil in a water bottle to get the fleas off of my kitties and we spray it on our carpet and furniture. The cats don't lick at it (make sure they don't because it can be toxic to kitties if ingested in high doses) and the fleas hate the smell of it. You can also do the same with peppermint oil (not toxic if they lick at it).

steph84, Sep 11, 2012
Ask a Question