7 Facts About Cats And Milk

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by CinnamonKiss, Feb 19, 2013.

1. CinnamonKiss

CinnamonKiss Well-Known Member

I thought this was pretty interesting and would benefit someone in the community, at least. And, seeing how Sassy managed to drink some of my leftover milk out of my cereal bowl a few weeks ago, I figured I would see what was up with cats and milk for myself. The too long;didn't read version is that it is bad for you cats!

Number 2 scares me and makes me never want any of our cats to get near milk. We're lucky Sassy didn't have any problems from that one time.
    To see all 7 facts go here.

CinnamonKiss, Feb 19, 2013
    shdws likes this.
  2. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Yeah they say that cats are actually lactose intolerant! So it can actually make them physically sick! I gave milk to Pussington ones in hopes of making her sick - She ate a silica gel pack, bu she just lapped it up and never even bothered! My guys will get a tablespoon full of lactose free skimmed milk for a treat, but they don't get it very often.

Scottyxx, Feb 19, 2013
  3. CinnamonKiss

Yes, which surprise me but at the same time made sense because mom's kitty milk would be different than cow's milk. That would be scary, that she didn't get sick after having both in her. I think you're supposed to call poison control when animals eat something dangerous. I don't think the lactose free skim would be much of a problem, it's hardly milk in the first place!:p

CinnamonKiss, Feb 20, 2013
  4. CinnamonKiss

shdws Well-Known Member

I had no idea milk was bad for cats. Even in cartoons you see cats go crazy over milk. o_O Thankfully, my cat doesn't like it.

shdws, Feb 20, 2013
  5. CinnamonKiss

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

Yeah I hate milk, but I don't like dry cereal so I buy the closest thing to milk that isn't really milk hahaha! Either way, the little ones love it, and I dont get that milky taste in my cereal so everyone is happy!

She was completely fine after her ordeal, but I was a nervous wreck, I thought for sure she was dead!

Scottyxx, Feb 20, 2013
  6. CinnamonKiss

Cartoons should really help to diminish that misconception rather than perpetuate it! An owner might stop if a cat gets sick off of it, but for a cat who doesn't show physical signs, well their owner may keep giving it to them.:(

I've also seen people buy almond milk or soy milk because they need something for their cereal and hate regular milk, but I wouldn't want to give a cat soy or almond! As long as it isn't bothering them and you're both happy, that's good. :)
    I would have been nervous too, I worry when our cats seasonal allergies kick in and that's nothing like the being poisoned! It's good that she was all right!!:D

CinnamonKiss, Feb 20, 2013
  7. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

I hate that so many of the old movies show people giving their cats bowls of milk. It just continues to show that it's something normal and passes it on. I'm surprised more people don't notice that their cats end up having diarrhea often after.

Jessi, Feb 21, 2013
    CinnamonKiss likes this.
  8. CinnamonKiss

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, the cat I grew up liked milk and my grandmother fed it to her like it was a normal thing. When I look at old pictures, that cat had a huge gut. My childhood cat was tubby with all kinds of bathroom issues because grandma thought cow's milk was the perfect food for a cat.
    I think those old Tom and Jerry cartoons reinforced the stereotype that cats love to lap up big bowls of milk.

ACSAPA, Feb 21, 2013
  9. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

I agree.

But just because a cat might *like* drinking something, doesn't mean it's good for them either. And heck, sometimes they don't have a choice either. If that's what they're given, they're going to drink it because they know they're thirsty. They can't necessarily know that it's what makes them feel icky after.

Jessi, Feb 21, 2013
  10. CinnamonKiss

Sounds like it was terrible for the cats weight.:( Those poor cats, they don't deserve health issues that could have easily been avoided.
    Tom and Jerry is cute but they should probably put a notice/warning on the cartoon that milk is actually bad for cats. It would be nice if they would help cats instead of hurt them.
    Cats would drink anti-freeze if someone was irresponsible with a leak and that could kill them! I'm sure water is the only good thing for adult cats to drink and I would loathe to find owners giving them foolish things like soda or energy drinks. I agree with you, cats can only drink what they're given and I think it's pretty important as owners to be educated about them. We have to make decisions for them a lot of times, but shhhh, don't tell them!;)

CinnamonKiss, Feb 21, 2013
  11. CinnamonKiss

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

No, I agree that milk is not good for cats. That's why I mentioned my childhood cat's big fat gut and digestive problems. I was just saying that older people like my grandmother weren't educated about how bad milk is for cats. I definitely wasn't saying that cats should have milk just because they like it.

ACSAPA, Feb 22, 2013
  12. CinnamonKiss

Jessi Well-Known Member

I was agreeing with you. I know you weren't saying that. I was just commenting on how simply because your grandma's cat liked it, doesn't mean it's good for 'em (and not that I thought *you* thought that....but that's how people like your grandma and older generations who haven't been taught the info yet end up thinking).

Jessi, Feb 22, 2013
  13. CinnamonKiss

Epicfied Well-Known Member

As said above, movies and tv shows (even books!) show or tell about cats drinking milk even though it's not the best for them.
    If a kid has a cat and sees that giving him milk is good (on tv), he'll want to give his cat milk too... it's just not good.

I like drinking soda, doesn't mean it's good for me. A kid with lactose intolerance may love milk, doesn't mean it'll settle well.

Epicfied, Feb 25, 2013
  14. CinnamonKiss

steph84 Well-Known Member

I don't like to give my cats milk because it is made for baby cows. It is not made for human or kitty consumption. I don't know why we think that we can only get calcium from milk. There are other ways to get your calcium and vitamins.

steph84, Mar 11, 2013
  15. CinnamonKiss

Trellum Well-Known Member

When I was little I was told cat's first food needed to be milk! I did that will all my cats, even Bob when I first got him :( It wasn't until a couple years ago that I found out milk does no good to cats, because most cats are intolerant to milk just like us... of course some of us have more issues digesting dairy than others.

Trellum, Jun 21, 2015
Ask a Question