7 Annoying Things You Should Expect when You Have a Cat

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Trellum, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

By Babble.com

[​IMG]

I have grown up with cats in my life since I was a small child. I have been around them so long that I don't really see those little quirks we take on when bringing a feline friend into the home.
    Just like people, cats and life with cats, have their good and bad points. Most of the negatives are not big enough to justify not having the best in our lives, but that doesn't mean we have to love every bit of it.

If you've not lived with a cat before and you're thinking about getting one -- there are some annoying things that are bound to happen at least once. They're not deal-breakers to own a cat, but just don't say no one warned you.

Here are 7 annoying things that you should expect to happen when you have a cat in your life -- because they're basically inevitable.

1. Your new wake-up time will be 5 AM.

I don't know what it is about this particular time of the morning, but it doesn't matter which cat we're talking about -- they like 5 AM. It's the universal time cats want to be fed and they won't let you sleep even a minute later. They eat on their own time -- and that time just happens to be when most of us are still sleeping.

2. Your leather furniture will be re-textured with scratches.

I always thought my furniture would be ruined from my four children, but cats just love to mess your stuff up. It doesn't matter if you've gotten them their own expensive cat tree which they're welcome to run their claws along at any time. They want your leather couches and fabric ottomans.

3. You will always have one broken lamp.
    Cats like the activity parkour -- "the activity or sport of moving rapidly through an area, typically in an urban environment, negotiating obstacles by running, jumping, and climbing." If you have any lamps that you spent weeks finding the perfect set for your living room, watch out. Your cat will knock that down and break it almost as fast as you set it up.
    4. Your black-out curtains won't black out.

I finally spent money on some black-out curtains for my living room. They're perfect for this spot and help keep the warm air inside during the winter and the hot sun out during the summer. Problem is, since we have two cats -- there are little holes up the curtains, not blacking out the light. Why? Our youngest cat loves to run up the back of the curtains. Claws + blackout curtains = sunlight in small rays.

https://shine.yahoo.com/pets/7-annoying-things-expect-cat-184700788.html

Trellum, Apr 9, 2014
  2. Trellum

Jessi Well-Known Member

I don't get the 5am thing either!!

Fortunately, my current cat isn't bad about this. He just sits at the end of the bed and stays quiet. As soon as I start waking up, then he makes his presence known, but he doesn't annoy me before then. My other cat who is staying at my mom's place still insists on waking up super early and being fed immediately.

Jessi, Apr 16, 2014
  3. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Aw, he must be such a good kitten. My cat had the nasty habit of licking my face first thing in the morning. Yikes! I always wondered why he liked my face tho? I no longer let him do that, btw, I just lock the door behind me eery night.

Trellum, May 1, 2014
  4. Trellum

Anne Well-Known Member

Well my Twinkle was a true star. He never broke a lamp. He seldom woke me up by 5 am because I allowed him too much freedom in the end. As it relates to the furniture. Mine was not leather and the scratches on the cloth sofa and bed were sort of hidden because of the color so it worked out fine for us both.

Either way I was always finding excuses for him. He had me good!

Anne, Dec 4, 2014
  5. Trellum

maryannballeras Member

#3 is so true. Based on my experience, that is. Our cats are always playful and somewhat hyper, and they always tend to knock things over. They can sometimes be funny, but I hope I can find some ways to train them off of this behavior, though.

maryannballeras, Dec 5, 2014
  6. Trellum

Bloomsie Active Member

In the beginning, Wolfy would always wake me and my family up at 5-6am. He was always ready to play or just wanted to be pet so early in the morning. It wasn't until my brother, half-asleep, tossed him off the bed that he never bothered anyone anymore; realizing that we didn't want to be woken up. It's sad, because I did somewhat enjoy it. It's always adorable to be woken up by something that just wants to be with you, you know?

But overall, I am blessed to have a cat trained by our dog, Roman (RIP). For six months, my cat would do everything Roman would do and thus any cat-related annoyances were eliminated. The only thing that drives my family and I crazy is that we can't go into the kitchen without Wolfy begging like crazy for cat treats. (He definitely learned well from Roman!)

Bloomsie, Dec 12, 2014
Ask a Question