6 things your cat should never eat

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Trellum, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

This article might come in handy for all the pet owners who might or might not be aware of those 6 things, this is different from the info graphs I have posted because it explains why ;)

http://www.ebay.com/gds/6-Things-yo...oken2=tf.pR3VpZGVz.bUGV0cw==.g.cpin.ap4c&pp=1

Trellum, Sep 27, 2015
  2. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. It is always good to know. I really have to keep an eye on Merle because he will eat anything.
    If I am sitting there eating something he will just come right up and help himself from
    my plate! lol

Susan Brown, Sep 29, 2015
  3. Trellum

Ow, he really does that when you are looking? :O I think my cat does the same, but he is very careful I don't see him ;) But I'm sure all those times I had to get up to pick the phone he helped himself from my plate :p Gotta love cats!

Trellum, Sep 29, 2015
  4. Trellum

nytegeek Member

I have mentioned it before, but unlike dogs or humans, cats are obligate carnivores. A healthy diet for a cat is actually fairly limited.

nytegeek, Oct 7, 2015
  5. Trellum

@nytegeek I think they get all they need from the average dog food they sell at the store, but it's always a good idea to be careful with the brand you get, some brands have been all over the news last few years.

Trellum, Oct 9, 2015
  6. Trellum

nytegeek Member

Did you mean cat food? Because ash content is an issue with cat food. Dog food I don't really know.

nytegeek, Nov 6, 2015
  7. Trellum

KimmyMarkks Active Member

Wow this is good to know. My cats seem to only like meat. Except my female cat like dairy. She will like ice cream when I'm not looking! She also tries to drink milk from the cereal bowl.

I will have to share this information with my friends.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 17, 2015
  8. Trellum

MER Well-Known Member

I'm not sure where to have posted this at but since it involves eatting .....

We have a toy that you hang atop a door. Its a long string with 2 butterflies filled with catnip that dangle about. It didn't take long before the cats broke the hanging bar that attaches to the door. So we just left the remaining pieces on the floor for them to play with. Basically a stick with 5' of string and the 2 butterflies. Anyway,

Rosco got fixed 2 weeks ago and has been suffering with diareha ever since. We took him in and got probiotics to give him. We took him back Saturday and they gave us some antibiotics since he still has the poops. Sunday morning, I wake up and here's the string with a stick next to Rosco's bed with perhaps 3' of string missing! I know that Rosco will start chomping on tassles on our bedspread and I have to pull at least 3" out of his mouth when I catch him. I'm freaked out of the idea that he could have chewed down 3' of string. I can't find that large piece of string anywhere in the house. Its about as thick as 2 ball point ink pins when you draw the lines together. 1/32 maybe. He's thrown up once but that could be due to the medicine I got to shoot down his mouth.

Any ideas on what to do people? Shy of a vet visit to have his stomach pumped or something drastic like that.

MER, Nov 23, 2015
  9. Trellum

p885 Member

Thanks for the info.

p885, Nov 24, 2015
  10. Trellum

Becky Well-Known Member

Gosh, 3' of string is an awful lot! Are you sure it hasn't been chased underneath a piece of furniture or something? I'd say keep an eye on him, but if he gets any worse take him to the vet. How is he doing now?

Becky, Nov 25, 2015
  11. Trellum

MER Well-Known Member

Overall I'd say he's acting pretty normal. Seems to have an okay appetitie and not throwing up any. I'm still keep that thought in the back of my mind or waiting to see him with a string hanging out his back end. He's still battling a bout of the poopies though. Just called the vet and left word about it. He's still got 5 days of antibiotic to take but the vet said some improvements should have taken place already. Rosco got fixed like I mentioned earlier so his behavior may be changing as a result of that too. I know he's losing his baby teeth since we found a tooth on the floor recently. He's also chewing on me a bit more frequently and he needs to apply a little bit less pressure when he does. :eek:)

MER, Nov 25, 2015
  12. Trellum

nytegeek Member

Dairy is basically junk food in regards to cats. It isn't very good for them and can cause digestive issues.

nytegeek, Nov 26, 2015
    Susan Brown likes this.
  13. Trellum

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

MER how did Roscoe make you? Did you ever figure out if he ate that string?

Susan Brown, Dec 9, 2015
  14. Trellum

MER Well-Known Member

Susan - I'm not sure what you mean by "make me". If you meant "meet", he was a 7 week old rescue kitten who was being cared for by a cat boarding house we plan on using when we travel. Had to wait to see if the owner's mom wanted the cat and to see if he was healthy before we were offered the cat. He is so adorable and affectionate. He cuddles with momma (if he's not already sleeping in his tree), when I'm at work and then he cuddles with me when we watch tv. Since my wife kicked the cats out of bed at night, Rosco is always on the alert when I get up in the morning and we spend at least 3 minutes petting, purring, bumping, biting as soon as I walk out the bedroom door.

He's been such a good sport for the past month too. He's still battling diarehha for over a month now. He just about kicked it before coming back in full force. He's on probiotics for a month, he's had various oral injections (1 he just totally hated and had to take a lot of), and now he's on some tablets for 14 days that my wife has to pin him down and force down his throat. Like I said, he's a terriffic sport and shouldn't have to endure all this treatment.

Oh, btw, he did have a bowel movement that had what looked like a short piece of string. However, we're not sure if its from the toy or the carpet from his cat tree that he likes to chew on. Crazy cat!

MER, Dec 9, 2015
  15. Trellum

malarieours New Member

This is a great link, thank you! I've had some training at the pet specialty store I work in that outlines most of this. You wouldn't believe what people feed to their kitties. I usually try to nicely steer people away from harmful foods and direct them to the quality lines of food we have at the store.

malarieours, Dec 9, 2015
  16. Trellum

MER Well-Known Member

You're probably full of knowledge about products for animals. Nice to have seen you join. Its kind of sad how vets seem to jump on board with their opinion of what's good or not. Or maybe I got the wrong info too. I found through my own research that the different types of cat food is basically a scam. The most important thing to do is read the labels to see whats in the food. That's when I switched to Honest Kitchen (dehydrated food). As you added water and bring it back to life, you can actually see the products in it. It was time consuming to mix and my cats seem to go hot and cold on it so we ended up going back to Royal Canin. Funny thing about that is we have both adult (27) and kitten food. Rosco would always eat the adult (2 month old), and Gemma would run for the kitten food and she's 12 months old.

MER, Dec 10, 2015
Ask a Question