Аrе саts аnd dоgs mоrtаl еnеmiеs?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Goodman, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Goodman

Goodman Member

Sоmе саts аnd Dоgs gеt аlоng vеry wеll with еасhоthеr. Mаny pеоplе hаvе саts аnd dоgs аs pеts аt thе sаmе timе (I оnсе hаd thrее саts аnd оnе dоg аnd thеn оnе саt hаd kittеns аnd wе еndеd up with 6 саts аnd а dоg).
    Thеrе аrе а fеw rеаsоns why sоmе саts аnd dоgs dо nоt gеt аlоng.
    1. Sоmе dоgs hаvе strоng prеy drivеs оr tеrritоriаl instinсts. саts аrе smаll еnоugh thаt thеy sоmеtimе ассtivаtе thе dоg's hunting instinсts аnd thе Dоg will trеаt thе саt likе prеy, hunting аnd сhаsing thеm. аs yоu саn imаginе this is nоt fun fоr thе саt аnd in wоrst саsеs is vеry dаngеrоus fоr thе саt.
    2. Sоmеtimеs Dоgs аrе nоt pоlitе tо саts. Fоr а dоg jumping, bаrking, liсking, rоugh nuzzling/sniffing, аnd еvеn wrеstling аrе wаys thеy wоuld mаkе friеnds with аnоthеr dоg. саts аrе muсh mоrе rеsеrvеd. If а саt еnсоuntеrеd а dоg thаt wаntеd tо mаkе friеnds in thаt wаy thеy wоuld nоt bе hаppy with thе dоg. Usuаlly thе dоg wоuld wаlk аwаy with а сlаwеd snоut. саts hаvе а vеry finеly tunеd sеnsе оf pоlitеnеss. Thеy spеаk in bоdy lаnguаgе аnd thеir lаnguаgе is diffеrеnt frоm а Dоg's sо thеy usuаlly hаvе tо bе suppоrtеd whеn thеy intеrасt tоgеthеr sо thеy саn bеgin tо undеrstаnd еасhоthеr.

Whаt dо yоu think?

Goodman, Jul 27, 2016
  2. Goodman

AnnaBanana Member

I don't believe that cats and dogs are natural mortal enemies. I believe that some dogs do love to chase cats, and I've had a cat who would chase dogs. They're just curious and playful. I've never seen a dog actually harm a cat, although I've heard of it to happen. If these animals grow up together, they tend to become family.

AnnaBanana, Jul 27, 2016
  3. Goodman

Susan Brown Well-Known Member

Most cats and dogs will get along just fine. The cat usually ends up being the dominant one. They may take a while to get use to each other but it won't be long before they are the best of friends. I have had both over the years and never had a problem with them hating each other.

Susan Brown, Aug 2, 2016
  4. Goodman

casey84 Active Member

I think it absolutely depends on the dog and the cat. We have a shih tzu and he adores our cat - in fact you would assume he thinks he's a cat because he copies our cats behavior! Once though a friend visited with her beagle and their dog absolutely flipped out at the sight and scent of our cat - she had to leave shortly after arriving because her dog would just not stop barking at the cat!

casey84, Aug 2, 2016
  5. Goodman

GeeTee Member

They are enemies for sure, but not mortal enemies. They can learn to get along eventually. My cat and dog could not get along, and the cat was the aggressor. Always walking around trying to behave like he is the boss. Lassy would have none of it and used her size to make Tiger know she wasn't going to have it. We had to literally monitor them like children until they started gettign along.

GeeTee, Aug 2, 2016
  6. Goodman

cluckeyo Active Member

Well, I wouldn't call my two, mortal enemies. Actually my cat would love to play with my dog who is smaller than him. Sometimes he runs to her and tries to swat her repeatedly, real fast, with his paw. My dog though, who is the boss, just about bites his head off when he tries to do that. Most of the time they just give each other fair clearance and they stay out of each other's way. They don't seem to hate each other, but they have very different agendas.

cluckeyo, Aug 10, 2016
  7. Goodman

Neo Member

I think that cats notice when dogs are the way you explain when it comes down to territory, so they must know to have their guard up when those moments come, like when you introduce a new cat into the house, you don't let them be around one another. Most people will just keep it on the bathroom for a few days to let them get adjusted with each others scents.

I don't think they are enemies by default, but in the wild sure.

Neo, Aug 16, 2016
Ask a Question