Your preferred cat litter

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by BTCGuru81, Apr 1, 2013.

1. BTCGuru81

BTCGuru81 Well-Known Member

Cat litter is a big issue for anyone owning one or more of these fun little creatures. I've heard a great deal of discussion about the potential hazards of scented litter as well as respiratory issues with dusty clay based litter. So I wanted to find out what everyone uses and why.

I have been attempting to switch to a pine based litter. I have to say the stuff really does keep the odors to a bare minimum. In a house with 4 cats, that's no laughing matter. A poor quality litter can stink up the entire floor.

BTCGuru81, Apr 1, 2013
  2. BTCGuru81

Scottyxx Well-Known Member

I stick with a normal grocery store clumping litter. To minimize mess and smell I put my litter tray in a tall tote container. If it is particularly bad I will sprinkle in some baking soda as I clean it but I rarely have to do so. Clumping is so much better than non clumping, I had such issues with non-clumping and mess!!

Scottyxx, Apr 1, 2013
  3. BTCGuru81

Well, so far I have to say the pine litter is working out as far as odor is concerned. It doesn't clump so there's not much in the way of quick cleaning. You really have to clean the whole box much more frequently. I'm not sure I like that because I'm worried about it being filthy for the cats though I prefer to use something as natural for them as possible. I've half toyed with the idea of trying sandbox sand. :D

BTCGuru81, Apr 4, 2013
  4. BTCGuru81

As gross as it might be, I like the clumping because when I scoop I can easily see how much my cats have peed - I know...weird, but Bandit has an iffy bladder / Urinary tract, so if I go to scoop one day and the scoops are little balls and not big clumps...something is up!

Scottyxx, Apr 5, 2013
  5. BTCGuru81

Oh I have nothing against the clumping stuff. I agree, I like to keep that box as clean as possible. That's one drawback to the pine stuff I"m using, it really doesn't clump do much as just soak it all up. This is problematic because it means I have to change the entire box way more frequently to keep it sanitary.

BTCGuru81, Apr 5, 2013
  6. BTCGuru81

Jessi Well-Known Member

Arm N Hammer!!

I love their other products and their kitty litter is no different. It works....clumps, holds the smell, etc, etc. I hate cleaning kitty litter, but if I'm going to have to do it, then that's what I'm going to buy.

Jessi, Apr 7, 2013
  7. BTCGuru81

Heh, I've been tempted to toilet train the cats. I've seen videos and read tutorials about how to get it done. It doesn't seem like the hardest thing in the world but I'm not sure how good it is for older cats. None of mine are ancients yet but they're not kittens anymore either.

BTCGuru81, Apr 7, 2013
  8. BTCGuru81

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have seen the toilet training videos, too, and it kind of grosses me out, to be honest. I really don't want to be sharing the same seat as my cat, heh. Maybe that's silly, but that's just a thought I can't really shake.

Jessi, Apr 7, 2013
  9. BTCGuru81

my cats drink from the toilet sometimes...I worry what may happen....

Scottyxx, Apr 8, 2013
  10. BTCGuru81

Yes well, time for an update: My cat HATE the new litter. They are pine pellets and they do a very good job of odor control. However, they have the weirdest behavior; they'll hop in to do number two, but wont do number one IN the box. They go BESIDE the box. :eek:

Apparently they are displeased and I have been dispatched to the store to make amends for my crimes.

BTCGuru81, Apr 9, 2013
  11. BTCGuru81

blurinoctober Well-Known Member

The pine litter sounds like an interesting investment! Currently I use a basic clay litter, clumping and made for a multiple cat household. It's a store brand, but it does it's job well. Both the cats use the same box without issue. The only time it smells is immediately after Sibyl poops (she's sick, currently, so this makes sense) or when it's really needing to be changed.

blurinoctober, Apr 12, 2013
  12. BTCGuru81

Trellum Well-Known Member

I don't have a preference for litter, but so far I've used several cat litters. I prefer the ones that are supposed to absorb the smell, those seem to really do the trick. Fo a while we also used sand, but we then decided to stick to the littler bought at the store later on. So far my fav one is ''fresh step''.

Trellum, Jan 20, 2014
  13. BTCGuru81

Smadge Member

I use Fresh Step. It seems to clump well, and the clumps don't break up as easily as other brands (Tidy Cats, for example). It makes keeping the box clean a lot easier. Cats don't like urine remnants in the litter box.

Smadge, Jan 26, 2014
Ask a Question